Stingray 3EQ Preamp

Started by subnormalwater, December 15, 2017, 11:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subnormalwater

Hi everyone, I built this preamp by following this thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/diy-stingray-3eq-preamp.883257/

I'm using it as a stompbox.

I used a TL072 instead of a TL062, B250k potentiometers since I ran out of B50k and 2.2uF on the biasing side.

I found that this preamp is eating a lot of treble, even at 100% treble I still can hear some loss of clarity compared to directly plugging the bass on the amp and it doesn't feel the same amount of boost I can get out from mid and bass.

I tried swapping some op-amps I have around and I found that the NE5532P sounded the best but still loss of definition

Is it due to my 250k pots or did I mess up something?

These are my readings (NE5532P):

1: 4.04V
2: 4.04V - these two are not quite stable, not sure if it's my probe  :icon_confused:
3: 3.61V then slowly drops
4: 0
5: 4.01V then slowly drops
6: 4.14V
7: 4.30V
8: 9.11V

anotherjim

The front end doesn't look suitable for passive pickups to me. Was it originally designed for use onboard a bass with active pickups?
My feeling is that, to avoid dulling a passive guitar, it needs a high impedance buffer stage in front.

subnormalwater

It's the onboard preamp of a Musicman Stingray, to be honest I don't know if it has active or passive pickups. I'm going to try this preamp with a buffer, thanks for the suggest

EDIT:

You're a genius! I placed it right after a buffer (klon buffer diy - really simple) and works like a charm  :icon_wink:

Rob Strand

QuoteWas it originally designed for use onboard a bass with active pickups?
The Musicman uses passive pickups. It's a humbucker.

You might want to chuck out or trim the 2n2 at the input.
You can play with the front end  high-pass filter.  If you pull it out is can be a bit boomy.

Personally I would have went for the 2-band Musicman; it's got some funky pots though.
Not that the 3-band is "bad" it has half decent frequencies.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

subnormalwater

Hey Rob  :icon_cool:

I wanted to build a 2EQ but as you said it uses some weird pots.. I'm happy how it turned out leaving mids flat and using only bass and treble

Rob Strand

QuoteI wanted to build a 2EQ but as you said it uses some weird pots.. I'm happy how it turned out leaving mids flat and using only bass and treble
Yeah bit of a pain.

I would have gone with a straight 2-band, like the "South Beach" one as opposed to the a three-band with the mids set flat.    Anyway nothing wrong with that 3-band.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.