Usual Resistor & Capacitor values for stompboxes

Started by Guurf2, December 17, 2017, 06:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guurf2

Hi,
So in the coming days i intend to purchase some of a local electronic parts store's old stock of parts (been stocking up on Ge transistors this way so far), and this time i'm am going to focus on Carbon Comp Resistors and Paper in oil Capacitors.
So the guy there told me to email him the desired values of resistors and capacitors and he will have them ready.
So my question is -
Does any of you know which values i should focus on? Anyone did this before? I mean for example i know that 0.1цf and 0.01цf for cacpacitors and 330,470,8.2k,100k ohm for capacitors are rather common in fuzzes, but i want to try not to miss out on anything here.
So does anyone have any sort of a list of common values i would want to focus on? Maybe someone who but a stock of vintage resistors&capacitors lately?

Thanks,

Guy

Rob Strand

I don't know the exact answer. 
The only guy who would know this is Small Bear because he buys stuff specifically for Effects pedals.

Look here, the values in the "E6" column are used more than the "E12".  And you will use effectively "E3" steps 100, 220 470, more than E6. You rarely need E24 for effects.
http://www.servenger.com/Resources/Standard_Resistor_Values.pdf

It applies to caps also.  Don't think of these as specific values.  Think of them as the first two digits.  eg. think of 680  as 6.8k 68k, 6.8nF, 68nF all these types of values.

You will end up using a lot of caps in the 1n to 100nF zone and resistors in the 1k to 100k zone.   But there's also common things for effects like 1M and 470k for input resistors and 47pF, 100pF, 220pF, 470pF caps. for high frequency filtering.

My advice is start small:
It's a good idea to have a small number of all E12 resistors from 10 ohm upto 10MEG and E6 capacitors from 47pF to 470n.   Then keep more E6 resistors between 1k and 100k and E3 caps between 1n and 100nF.
Sometimes you can get mixed packs at a reasonable price - maybe buy those *once* to get started.  The quality sometimes isn't as good as the main stream parts.

After a while buy more of what *you* end up using.

If you try to get it right from the start you will end-up with a lot of junk you don't use.

Oh, resistors 1% or 5%.   Caps 5% or 10%.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Danich_ivanov

Interestingly enough i saw guitologist video today, where he was talking about the most common values, and even though he is more focused on amps, essentially the only different thing is voltage, since for pedals you generally don't need 350v caps.

Here's the video.
https://youtu.be/fILrsPb_mxI

Guurf2

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

amptramp

We have an entire subforum on schematics and layouts.  I would check values on each of the schematics.  You have not said whether you intend to set yourself up as a manufacturer or a repair centre but if it is a repair centre, you can expect every value on the schematic subforum to possibly appear. If you are a manufacturer, generate a parts list for whatever you intend to build.

GGBB

If you are looking to reproduce specific vintage circuits using vintage components, you need to be aware that carbon comp and paper capacitor values can drift quite a lot with age. So to build a circuit accurately you may need to use the components' indicated values as a guide only, and measure each component to make sure it meets what the circuit requires. As an example, you might need to use a 390ohm marked resistor when the circuit calls for a 330ohm. Take that into account before you buy any sizable quantities of a particular value.
  • SUPPORTER