Drilling enclosure

Started by airguitar, December 20, 2017, 05:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airguitar

So i just bought my first 1590B enclosure in a fancy red color(was in sale! ;)).I don't have a step drill.Just a bunch of drills in different sizes.If i can find the right diameter one will i have a problem drilling the holes ?

deadastronaut

make sure you centre punch first....to stop the drill slipping.

.then drill small holes as guides

and you'll be fine...

i do all my drilling by hand...  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Kipper4

Pilot drill all. Then gradually go bigger for big hole.
Should be ok.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

airguitar

Also if i print a template and stick it on the enclosure and then drill will the paper slip ?I thought about marking the holes if that does not work

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: airguitar on December 20, 2017, 05:23:40 AM
Also if i print a template and stick it on the enclosure and then drill will the paper slip ?I thought about marking the holes if that does not work

I suppose it's possible. That is the way I do mine but I haven't had any issue. You can try it and if it does, then use the template to then punch/mark your holes, and then drill without the template.

Good luck!

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

rankot

Quote from: airguitar on December 20, 2017, 05:23:40 AM
Attach paper to enclosure with some kind of adhesive tape, then punch hole centres with punch tool. Remove the paper and carefully drill small holes (2-3mm), then widen them with appropriate drills.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

GibsonGM

Mind that the box can start to fly around in circles if/when your bit catches!   Probably won't hurt you, being square - but one day if you drill a flat piece of metal that can really mess you up.

I typically find some way to lightly clamp my work, but I also am using a drill press.  I use one of the very deep sets of vice grips for welding, and a block of wood so I don't screw up the box.   Not tightly clamped, just firm...

Hand drilling on the ground, you can just hold the box between your feet, with shoes on  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

jimilee

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 20, 2017, 10:50:13 AM
Mind that the box can start to fly around in circles if/when your bit catches!   Probably won't hurt you, being square - but one day if you drill a flat piece of metal that can really mess you up.

I typically find some way to lightly clamp my work, but I also am using a drill press.  I use one of the very deep sets of vice grips for welding, and a block of wood so I don't screw up the box.   Not tightly clamped, just firm...

Hand drilling on the ground, you can just hold the box between your feet, with shoes on  :)
Nope, hurts just the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davent

Your life will be much easier and your success much greater if you use good quality sharp drill bits. Like everyone else says, center punch before you drill, drill a tiny pilot hole, i aim for a bit that totally fits in the center punch dimple and if you're using great quality, sharp bits and slowly stepping up the size of the hole your bit should never grab and spin the enclosure when it's not securely clamped.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Mark Hammer

I bought myself an adjustable spring-loaded center-punch with a nuce sharp point some 35 years ago.  THE best tool I have ever owned.  Put the point where you want/need the hole to be and simply push.  That will help to center your drill bit.  Also very useful, I might add, for starting screw holes in wood or  drywall.

patrick398

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 20, 2017, 10:50:13 AM

I've always been to embarrassed to admit i do that  :icon_lol:

EBK

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 20, 2017, 07:48:27 PM
I bought myself an adjustable spring-loaded center-punch with a nuce sharp point some 35 years ago.  THE best tool I have ever owned.  Put the point where you want/need the hole to be and simply push.  That will help to center your drill bit.  Also very useful, I might add, for starting screw holes in wood or  drywall.
I would almost say that my center punch is the best tool I have ever owned, but I somewhat recently had a life-altering moment when I used a pair of flush cutters for the first time.   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

deadastronaut

the spinning enclosure:

yup, very nasty...been there...ouch!!!!!... :'(

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GibsonGM

Quote from: davent on December 20, 2017, 06:30:00 PM
Your life will be much easier and your success much greater if you use good quality sharp drill bits. Like everyone else says, center punch before you drill, drill a tiny pilot hole, i aim for a bit that totally fits in the center punch dimple and if you're using great quality, sharp bits and slowly stepping up the size of the hole your bit should never grab and spin the enclosure when it's not securely clamped.

dave

You can always shoot for the ideal, of course...having nice sharp bits and such....but ANY metal worker will caution you to secure your work...ANY metal piece can catch and spin.  Wood can too but usually is not critical like this.   Any good metal working manual will suggest this.   You can do it 100 times, everything is fine, and on run 101 there is your 1" deep gash, 2" long.     An aluminum box is a lot less likely to hurt you than bar stock, of course. 

"Should never"... maybe...and then it happens.  Just like a kickback on a table saw even when you're doing it 'right'.   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...