Newb needs help with wiring diagram

Started by BOS5150, December 22, 2017, 08:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOS5150

Hey folks,

Attempting to build this pedal but I'm a total newb when it comes to following schematics. I found this diagram that is pretty clear for me to follow except for a few things. Firstly I'm not sure where/how to wire in the input/output jacks. Also I'm unsure were the yellow/black wires coming of the board/pots go and if they have any relation to the input/output. Any help is greatly appreciated but ultimately if someone can mspaint in those missing areas for me that'd be ideal. Hope it's not to much to ask but thanks for taking the time to read   :icon_smile:

duck_arse

hello BOS5150, and welcome to the forum.
the yellow wire on the board is the fx input, it will go to your bypass switch. the yellow from the Volume pot wiper is the fx out, and it also goes to the footswitch.

the signal in and signal out jacks - the tip connection of each goes to the bypass switch, the sleeves both go to the circuit ground. that's the line around the board edge, connecting to the battery (-). the two little arrow-down symbols on the vol and sens pots are earths, and go to the board/jack/supply ground connections.

there is a diagram somewhere abouts this forum that shows the most popular methods of wiring a bypass footswitch. but I can't put my finger on it at the moment.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

BOS5150

Thanks for the welcome and quick response!

So would it be something like this diagram but the send/return jacks would be replace by the fx in/out wires?

duck_arse

it would be something like that, yes. that setup will also ground the circuit board input when in bypass mode. this is often done one high gain circuits to SHUT THEM UP when they should be quiet: it shouldn't hurt in this inst.

BOS5150

Ok so I drew a quick diagram in regards to the confusion. Does this look like it makes sense? :icon_mrgreen:

BOS5150

Thanks for the link!! So it's not necessary to daisy chain the grounds from the pots? They can just go direct to a ground?

thermionix

duck_arse

I think you need to swap the fx_in and the fx_out wires at the switch.

BOS5150

Ok so most of my parts have come in for this build. Looking at the diagram I have another puzzle I'm trying to figure out. Are there any breaks in strip board that need to be drilled according to the diagram? Other diagrams I've seen have specific areas marked. Thanks again for all of your help!

EBK

What you have is not a strip board layout.  If you want strip board, try this layout instead, perhaps:

http://s605.photobucket.com/user/pinkjimiphoton/media/uglyface_lfo_blanik.jpg.html
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

BOS5150

Oh! So a perfboard is what I should be using then correct?

EBK

Quote from: BOS5150 on December 31, 2017, 06:55:00 AM
Oh! So a perfboard is what I should be using then correct?
Yes, that is a perfboard layout. 
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.