Question about wiring mono/stereo to a switch

Started by Michael2, December 22, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael2

Hi all,

I have noob question (again): I am working on some sort of junction box with a few features. One of the features that I am looking for is that I will be able to flip a toggle switch to select between (one or two) mono outs and a stereo out. I am not always bringing two amps to gigs, so this option is welcome. I saw this schematic for a passive mixer http://www.muzique.com/news/passive-mixer/ and that was pretty clear to me but I was wondering if it is also possible to lead the mixed signals to two mono outputs. Maybe a drawing will clarify what I had in mind. Will this work? And can I also use both outputs at the same time? Or will this mess up the signal somewhere?

PRR

It appears it should work.

It is $1.24 of parts you can re-use if it turns out bad. Just try it.
  • SUPPORTER

R O Tiree

If you're going to have 47k resistors in the "ganged/mono" switch setting, then shouldn't there also be 47k resistors in the 2 lines going from FX1 and FX2 to the lowest terminals of the switch? Otherwise there will be an different voltage input at the amplifier(s) inputs(s) depending on which setup you use.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Michael2

Thanks guys!

@PRR: You are right, maybe best to test it...but I hoped someone knew right away...

@R O Tiree: Good question. I do not know, I better draw up the whole idea that I had in mind for this box first. I need to do it anyway. A whole pack of buffers, splitters and a switch is involved...maybe after seeing it you guys think I'm out of my mind...yowza!...I hope someone can shine a light on it...give me a few minutes!

Michael2

Here it is...what I looking for is this:

A) when playing on two amps:
- reverb on two channels
- when hitting the foot switch signal will split in one channel delay and one channel reverb

B) when playing on one amp:
- hit the toggle switch to get delay and reverb on one channel. I prefer to have the fx in parallel and not stacked.

Buffers are welcome/needed to give some clarity on the reverb (it's an analog version). I left out all the ground wiring to make it easier to read. The channel splitter image is this circuit: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.nl/2014/08/amz-2-channel-splitter.html?m=1

Any ideas/remarks/tips?     

PRR

Unless the loads are super heavy, you could feed them both from one output, cut your board in half.

Otherwise: 47K is negligible compared to the >1Meg inputs, so direct/47K is about no difference in level.
  • SUPPORTER

Michael2

Thanks PRR!

Do you mean that in the mono setting both the direct reverb and delay can be connected to one lug of the toggle switch? Or something completely else? I'm eager to learn! Thanks!

Michael2

I suddenly understood what you meant PRR!

I already had a simple JFET buffer laying around and it works great if I split the output to two separate outputs. No volume or tone loss. I'm not sure if there's a ground loop though, I was under the impression there was one but I need to test some more for that.

Now I need to redraw the circuit I was thinking of but it will be way more simple now with only one buffer instead of two.

Thanks a lot for your help!