Veroboard same hole pot

Started by airguitar, December 27, 2017, 12:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airguitar

Some vero layouts like this for example http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Fulltone-OCD.gif

have drive 2,3 and tone 2,3 that means i have to put two wires in one hole and solder ?They fit with little effort but i am not sure if thats right.Maybe it 2,3 means i put either lug 2 or 3 in the hole ?
sorry for noob question

EBK

BestOne way is to use one wire, strip the end that goes to the pot a bit more than usual so you can thread it through both pot terminals and solder.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

airguitar

Quote from: EBK on December 27, 2017, 12:35:01 PM
BestOne way is to use one wire, strip the end that goes to the pot a bit more than usual so you can thread it through both pot terminals and solder.
Thanks that must be more easy than the way i did it.
So both lugs are used i dont choose 2 or 3 right ?

EBK

Correct.  Both lugs are used.

As a side note, occasionally, I'll make something that does require two wires in one hole.  In those situations, I just widen the hole a bit with a small drill bit to accommodate
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: airguitar on December 27, 2017, 12:32:50 PM
sorry for noob question
Sometimes these are my favorite type of questions to answer.  Ask as many as you like, and don't apologize for asking.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

airguitar

Another noob one lol.In the same row of a veroboard its ok if some solder goes to the next hole right ?
We dont want any solder connecting to different rows though.

EBK

Correct.  But, if the particular row has a cut, you don't want solder bridging that either.  Whenever I finish a vero build, I check to make sure I have the same number of cuts as I did before soldering.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

If you have a cut between two holes and it's covered by solder, you have to review your soldering skills..  :icon_wink:
(it's much more possible to short two traces of an about 0.6mm spacing rather than two holes of an about 3mm spacing due to cut hole between them..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Quote from: antonis on December 29, 2017, 07:01:10 AM
If you have a cut between two holes and it's covered by solder, you have to review your soldering skills..  :icon_wink:
(it's much more possible to short two traces of an about 0.6mm spacing rather than two holes of an about 3mm spacing due to cut hole between them..)
True.  :icon_lol:
I tend to use a lot of between-hole cuts in my layouts, like this example (not my personal work):

Those are much easier to bridge with solder when beer is involved.   :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

Solder suckers can be handy....
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

runmikeyrun

Three of your best friends for vero:

1. Small drill bit- twist it over a hole to break a connection.  Works better than using an xacto knife to cut the trace. 

2. Use the xacto knife to clean up stray solder between the tracks when you're done.  I run mine down each row when I'm done to assure there isn't anything hanging around that could short one track to another.

3.  Magnifying glass.  I use this to inspect cuts to assure the track has been completely cut, and also after I run the xacto through to clean up between the tracks. 

Hope that helps.

Ham fisting my way through one build to the next since 2003. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women