Tesla technology - mobius resistors

Started by Gainiac, December 29, 2017, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gainiac

So I was on wikipedia and happened to come upon a rather curious type of electrical component called a mobius resistor for which a patent was granted to Nikolai Tesla in 1894.  Needless to say my first thought was to wonder if these would have any interesting properties that could be utilized in a pedal circuit.  Unfortunately I'm a build-by-numbers vero type guy so was wondering if anyone with a better conceptual understanding of circuits would mind taking a look at this and share thoughts.

Rob Strand

For an effects pedal, it doesn't solve any problems that need to be solved.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Gainiac

But what about the Tesla mojo, one would think you could make a fortune selling a mobius resistor equipped tube screamer to the GP crowd  :icon_razz:

Rob Strand

QuoteBut what about the Tesla mojo, one would think you could make a fortune selling a mobius resistor equipped tube screamer to the GP crowd

That's a different matter  :icon_biggrin:
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

thehallofshields

highwater

Quote from: thehallofshields on December 30, 2017, 03:17:56 AM
So it's an induction free resistor?

That's what it sounds like.

Anyone know how much capacitance they have? I'd guess, roughly, "a lot".
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

EBK

Forget about the Mobius resistor.  What we really need are more Life Field Transformers:
http://www.soul-guidance.com/lft/structure.htm

It's like a burst box for your aura!
:icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

QuoteForget about the Mobius resistor.

Oh, I was starting to like the mojobius resistors.

EBK

Quote from: Rob Strand on December 30, 2017, 07:34:44 AM
QuoteForget about the Mobius resistor.

Oh, I was starting to like the mojobius resistors.
That's ok.  Just when I start to believe I've finished thinking about these resistors, I realize I'm back to where I started thinking about them.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

QuoteThat's ok.  Just when I start to believe I've finished thinking about these resistors, I realize I'm back to where I started thinking about them.
That's awesome  :icon_eek:.

Digital Larry

Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

iainpunk

How about a Möbius transformer??, Given there is no inductance, you could build an transformer without any reactance!!!!!! That would make drivers for such a transformer much easier end more consistent across the frequency band!!! Or Möbius voice coils, which have a flat response all over the frequency range!!!!!

\s
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

R O Tiree

Someone's also patented an idea for a Möbius capacitor... throw in a Möbius inductor... Put one of each in parallel across an AC signal with a DC offset... where do the electrons go? To the pub for a drunken knees-up, perhaps?
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

duck_arse

I heard they tried a piezo Möbius for a microphone, but it kept straightening itself out.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

garcho

Tesla! He was spiritually in touch with the aliens who built the pyramids and "invented" "free" electricity and magically conjured perfect components (no one has ever seen or used them but if he filed for a patent, it must be real!) He also did everything else that's cool (except the conveniently forgotten racial cleansing he proposed over the years), traveled time, invented the radio, TV, the computer, the cell phone and nuclear fission reactors and he was trotted all over by beastly greedy corporate schmucks who couldn't understand his equations or his obvious moral and intellectual superiority! If only romantic handsome slightly exotic Serbian steam punks were in charge of the world, there would be statues of him in every плодщат and no pollution or inequality and we'd be flying in hovercrafts that run on gravity!

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

DDD

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

rankot

Quote from: garcho on January 04, 2018, 01:04:41 PM
Tesla! He was spiritually in touch with the aliens who built the pyramids and "invented" "free" electricity and magically conjured perfect components (no one has ever seen or used them but if he filed for a patent, it must be real!) He also did everything else that's cool (except the conveniently forgotten racial cleansing he proposed over the years), traveled time, invented the radio, TV, the computer, the cell phone and nuclear fission reactors and he was trotted all over by beastly greedy corporate schmucks who couldn't understand his equations or his obvious moral and intellectual superiority! If only romantic handsome slightly exotic Serbian steam punks were in charge of the world, there would be statues of him in every плодщат and no pollution or inequality and we'd be flying in hovercrafts that run on gravity!

Плодщат is Russian. We say trg/трг.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

garcho

^ duh, of course! Not Russian, though. Bulgarian!!  комши! :)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"