Any good mods for the "Thermionic Distortion" (Friedman BE-OD clone)

Started by rosssurf, January 04, 2018, 08:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosssurf

I recently acquired a pcb  from here http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/thermionic-distortion/ . I have not built it yet, nor have I even played the BE-OD myself, but after reading some reviews, it seems some folks love it and others say it could use a Mid control. Is there a certain component (s) that I should socket to adjust the mids to my taste in the event i don't find it perfect from the start?  Any other cool mods that folks suggest?

J0K3RX

Look at the Dirty Sanchez (Friedman Dirty Shirley clone) it should give you a good idea on where to place the Mid control..  :icon_wink:
http://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/DirtySanchez.pdf

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

rosssurf

Thank you Jok3RX, I wish I knew a little more about what I am doing but I am not really learned enough to look at that and see where I should put the mid pot or what components I might need to add.   Here is the  2 different boards. My BE-OD clone board on top and the Dirty Shirley Clone below.  If it's not too much trouble to point it out to me I would appreciate it. If it's too much of a pain, I understand and thank you for your help anyway.

287m

honestly, i think you better build with 'standard spec' first
maybe with socketed all component :D

then you decide, you need the mids or not.

that the reason, if im buy pcb, always buy 2, one for experiment
i stop believe 100% review, because their reviewer gear isn't same with my gear

J0K3RX

I am on my cell phone with no access to my computer for a couple days so drawing or explaining a mod is a bit more work than I am willing to do at this moment. The BE and the DS are very similar so looking at the schematics and comparing both should be relatively easy even for a beginner. You really should be able to look at the schematc for whatever you are attempting to build and at least be able to identify the different components and where they are in the circuit. It will benefit you greatly when your build has a problem or doesn't work to be able to look at the schematic and go over everything.

You might as well just come up with a few more bucks and order the "Brown Betty" board... It's the BE and DS on one board.
http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/brownbetty/

Damn bugg puts out boards like nobody's business and every one of them is a work of art!! Dude gots skillz!
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

287m

yeah Jim, BuGG ocd layout is art, top mounted jack too!
that why i suggest socket, all placement is great, inline ;)

rosssurf

Thank you for your help Jok3rx. I am able to identify all pedal parts from a schematic, but have limited understanding of circuit flow and where in this circuit one might be able to adjust the midrange.  I am not really looking for a pot adjustment. Just wondering what cap/resistor might be tweeked for mid range adjustment. Is that something you could point out to me?

rosssurf

Thank you for your help Jok3rx. I am able to identify all pedal parts from a schematic, but have limited understanding of circuit flow and where in this circuit one might be able to adjust the midrange.  I am not really looking for a pot adjustment. Just wondering what cap/resistor might be tweeked for mid range adjustment. Is that something you could point out to me?

rosssurf

Well my build is complete and it sounds great. I would like a mid control or know what components to change to try different sounds, but I am happy with it.
I did use in4148 as the 4 diodes but noticed no difference in sound when they were removed.

Anyone else experience this?  Is it likely these components actually do nothing at all?