Zvex Distortron / Box of Rock

Started by Plexi, January 05, 2018, 11:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexi

Built one as request with low expectations, and finally I've get amazed of how great it sounds.
Nice compression and sustain.
I'll built one for me.

The only concern is about the C5K gain pot, I think I'll replace it for a B1K..where all the usable gain is.
Only tried a B5K there, and the clean to full distortion was almost at the last 30% of the sweep.

Any suggestions or experiences?
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

antonis

IMHO, it should be better to use a R13 by-pass capacitor for OD switch on max gain setting to avoid DC bias disturbance..  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Plexi

Quote from: antonis on January 05, 2018, 11:47:58 AM
IMHO, it should be better to use a R13 by-pass capacitor for OD switch on max gain setting to avoid DC bias disturbance..  :icon_wink:
Sure!
22uF maybe?

antonis

Quote from: Plexi on January 05, 2018, 11:59:46 AM
22uF maybe?
Why not..??

Any cap value greater than, 10μF say, would do the job..  :icon_wink:

You may form a frequency dependable gain by shunting R13 with cap's capacitive reactance..
( e.g. 330R // 194R at 82Hz for 10μF cap value..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Kennt82

The C5K pot should even out the sweep on that 1st SHO boost stage.

GibsonGM

It's a great design, and only needs one more boost section at the end....   :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

at the very least, R13 shold be hard wired to the fet, and the switch wired open or short-to-ground. switching between ground and R13 will disturb antonis' biases very badly.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Ripthorn

I built one a year or two ago and really like it.  The C5k is chosen for a reason and I think it's as even of a sweep as you'll get out of this circuit.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on January 06, 2018, 09:00:56 AM
at the very least, R13 shold be hard wired to the fet, and the switch wired open or short-to-ground. switching between ground and R13 will disturb antonis' biases very badly.
:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Maybe a 15% alter in VGS bias shouldn't even be noticed, but for the sake of good design practice it shouldn't happen.. :icon_wink:

Plexi

Update!

- Q3 gain switch:
As many says, it bother some place. I hear an annoying squeal/oscillations, sometimes when turned the guitar volume down.
Even with bypass cap (10uF and 22uF) to ground.
Anyway, the amount of gain increase beautifully; I would like to keep it somehow.
I'll try later some small resistor (20R to 100R maybe?) and see if the squeal desapears.
Maybe it comes from my tester, or cables, and will dissapear as soon I box it.

- About the c5K/b1K/b5K Gain pot: only have/found b1k and b5k.
The first stage is basically a SHO, nothing more, nothing less.
I could use a fixed value here (maybe 180R or 330R), and place a 'master volume' pot at the end (after C2 maybe). But, it isn't the magic of the design I guess.
The b5k works worst than I've remember: almost the 90% of the sweep is clean, and the gain increase in the last 10% of sweep. (I know... I know, whit the C's sweep it wouldn't happen).
The b1K works great here, but at 0 it haven't a 100% clean. I'll keep this one.

thermionix

B1K with a 3K9 fixed resistor in series?

Plexi

Quote from: thermionix on January 10, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
B1K with a 3K9 fixed resistor in series?
That way it will be clean all the sweep.
The gain increase from ~2k to 0 resistance (emiter linked to ground).

antonis

Quote from: Plexi on January 10, 2018, 09:51:19 PM
- Q3 gain switch:
As many says, it bother some place. I hear an annoying squeal/oscillations, sometimes when turned the guitar volume down.
Even with bypass cap (10uF and 22uF) to ground.
Anyway, the amount of gain increase beautifully; I would like to keep it somehow.
I'll try later some small resistor (20R to 100R maybe?) and see if the squeal desapears.
Better try a 47pF (arbitrary start value..) feedback cap in parallel with R11..  :icon_wink:

marcelomd

Hi,

Maybe using an extra resistor with a linear pot you can get the sweep you want?

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

The box of rock makes some of my favourite tones. Only problem is it is so noisy, on breadboard at least.

Plexi

Found another schematic, and noticed that C7 is 100n instead 10n.
As I've readed on freestompboxes, 100n is the correct value.
I'll try, and now I think the tone switch will have more sense.

https://files2.soniccdn.com/old/1140704a981b9c69e93.gif

The only trouble that I can't get rid off, is the squealing when switch to high gain (jump 330R from S to ground).
I'm guessing is the test box (too much exposed). Maybe boxing and grounding the box this problem desapears?

Plexi