Mutron micro V cutting out

Started by Chillums, January 07, 2018, 01:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chillums

Hi all... I just completed a micro v build on perfboard.   I used this schematic http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Filters%20Wahs%20and%20VCFs/Mu-tron%20Micro%20V.jpg   It's been working great for a few days now but I found something strange.   When I have bridge pickup on and I hit the strings really hard the sound cuts out.   Then it comes back about 6 to 7 seconds later.   When it comes back you can hear a some kind of clicking sound.  It seems like the signal is too hot and it's overloading something but I don't know what that is.  It won't cut out if I have the neck or neck/bridge selected only the bridge pickup by itself.  I have an Aria Jet Axe which has two humbuckers and one single coil.  Anybody know what could be changed in order to fix this?  I assume it's the envolope generator peaking to high and causing the 3080 to lock up but I could be totally wrong.  Anyone else ever have this problem?  Thanks in advance!!

Chillums

diffeq

You can limit envelop generation by increasing the value of R14, making envelope rise slower; but then again, it will make other pickups seem more quiet.

Another possibility is op-amp overloading (especially at envelope generator part) Not much can be done in circuit, you'd have to scale down hot signal to get it into operating range.

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Chillums

Well I feel like a dummy....  Looking over the board again and found that the socket I used for the opamp was missing the metal piece on pin three.   Replaced the socket and Wham-O works like a charm.   Pretty cool little effect.   I used a dpdt three position switch instead of the two position dpdt and it has a medium setting now along with the high and low.   Needed to add some bass though.... Pretty thin sounding.    Adding a 330n in parallel with the .1 input cap helped a lot.   Thanks for the feedback though guys.