UK Alpha Pots Suppliers 16mm Right Angle PCB mount

Started by Tuff Pedals, January 08, 2018, 08:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuff Pedals

Hi guys,

Anyone know of a UK supplier that carries the a decent range of Alpha pots?. I tend to use 16mm right angled pcb mounted pots and struggle sometimes to get all I need from a single supplier. Banzaimusic is pretty good but they are based in Germany so shipping for me is expensive, looking for something similar in the uk that has a decent range that I can use as my go to store.

I've used Bitsbox and Thonk and Fuzz Dog in the past but they don't have the largest selection.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

daz

bluebunny

Does it really, really have to be a UK supplier?  Tayda has a pretty good selection of 16mm and 9mm pots, and they have a 15% discount coupon valid until Thursday.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

patrick398

+1 on tayda for pots. Only decent selection of right angle pots i've ever found without going bankrupt.
I put in a big tayda order last week, i knew a coupon be released just after, sods law.
Only issue with tayda is the waiting time...

PMowdes

Just use solder lug pots and solder on solid core wire "legs", it's cheaper and you wont run into issues sourcing pots.  it also gives you a little more wiggle room than the solid legged right angle pots.
www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

bluebunny

Quote from: patrick398 on January 08, 2018, 10:01:00 AM
I put in a big tayda order last week, i knew a coupon be released just after, sods law.

So we have you to thank, Patrick?   ;)   Though Nathan may be upset you're putting him out of a job...
  • SUPPORTER

Tuff Pedals

Thanks for the Tayda recommendation, how long is shipping usually?, do you run into trouble with customs charges?. I ordered stuff from Mammoth before, that was a mistake as I got stung royally :( Had a quick look at Tayda, their website looks ok, their Alpha pot stock looks good (maybe not as comprehensive as Banzai (no 1MC in right angled form!)). 

I like right angled pots as I think they are offer a neat job as I tend to only make PCB's, I have used lugged pots in a pinch before :)

Any other recommendations out there?.

cheers daz

patrick398

Usually around a 10-14 day wait for me, i'm in UK so maybe it's quicker elsewhere. You can also pay for quicker delivery, i think it's about £9 for a 2-4 day delivery. I think all of these prices also depend on the size and bulk of your order.

vigilante397

Quote from: bluebunny on January 08, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
Though Nathan may be upset you're putting him out of a job...

I'll get by somehow ::)

Does Smallbear not ship to UK? Tayda is great and they have a lot of different values, but there were some last time I looked that Tayda didn't have (a few reverse log if I remember right), and Smallbear did.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Rapid online in the UK have just started to stock the Taiwan Alpha 16mm right angle pots at about 59p. Not a large range of values yet but hopefully they will get more soon.

https://www.rapidonline.com/taiwan-alpha-rv16af-41-100k-linear-16mm-metal-case-pc-mount-potentiometer-66-0366
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

MetalGuy

If one is located in Europe/UK he or she should check first at Banzai. They have the largest selection of pots of all online stores in Europe including right angle "normal" and long legs as well:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/PC-Mount-Vertical/

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-16mm-Long-Legs/

bluebunny

Quote from: Tuff Pedals on January 08, 2018, 12:26:08 PM
do you run into trouble with customs charges?

I've never had customs charges with Tayda orders.  YMMV.  And I always choose the regular postal service, rather than DHL.  Either way, you're theoretically liable for VAT on orders above £15, and duty for orders above £135.  My orders are usually somewhere between £30 and £50 and so far I've dodged that one.  (Having said that, I ordered a couple of PCBs from the US recently and got stung for VAT on those - for a similar order amount.  Like I said, YMMV...)
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on January 08, 2018, 12:54:51 PM
Does Smallbear not ship to UK?

I'm certain Steve does indeed ship to the UK, but I'm not sure the postage is so competitive when the Tayda discount covers the shipping!  But I would love the opportunity to stop by in person and buy a sackful of stuff if I'm ever in NYC.  Sadly not on the cards in the foreseeable, but who knows?
  • SUPPORTER

Tuff Pedals

Thanks all for the info and recommendations, much appreciated. I'll keep an eye on Rapid, would be great if they expand their range, I'll investigate Tayda too, though I think right now Banzai might be the best bet for me for a one stop shop for the pots I use.

cheers daz

patrick398

Quote from: bluebunny on January 08, 2018, 04:25:55 PM

I'm certain Steve does indeed ship to the UK, but I'm not sure the postage is so competitive when the Tayda discount covers the shipping!  But I would love the opportunity to stop by in person and buy a sackful of stuff if I'm ever in NYC.  Sadly not on the cards in the foreseeable, but who knows?

Someone needs to organise a coach for a DIYSB UK Branch trip over there. I'm thinking 'Jolly Boys Outing' style

italianguy63

I have one small caution that I have encountered.  It seems Tayda and Small Bears 16mm 90 degree leg spacing is different.  So, as long as you can get ALL the values you need for your project from Tayda-- you are golden.  I have had problems mixing and matching...  So for the most part I go with Small Bear because there is a larger selection.  (my projects tend to have oddball value pots).

By spacing-- I have encountered the pot shaft is closer or longer to the 90 degree bend.  So they don't align with each other.  You can overcome it with creative "bending"  :)

Edit:  I believe the bushing size may be different too...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad