Crybaby mod question - power bypass.

Started by Steelystan, January 26, 2018, 06:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelystan

Hi guys

Just finished modding a CBG95 for true bypass and the vocal Q resistor mod.  I also took out the input buffer circuit.  Its all worked fine despite the appaling quality of the PCB and the flimsy cable block connector.

Buzzing out the board i find 8.5v in a number of places regardless of the on/off state of the pedal, so I assume the mod does not disengage power in the off postion.  I can see how I could use the same switch pins, recommended for fitting an LED, as a power switch when the pedal is turned on but will this cause a significant glitch in the signal as the circuit powers up or will it be quick enough to be effectively instant?

I know removing the input cable disconnects the battery but the pedal is in a pretty tight space on my pedal board and even with a pancake cable its fiddly to pull the cable out.

Cheers

Stan

thermionix

Almost all pedals are done the same.  If you cut power during bypass, there will be a loud pop, or a lag, or both.

One thing you can do is put a separate toggle in to cut the power when you're done playing for a while, so you don't have to unplug.

Steelystan

As I expected.  Thanks.

Yes, I think I'll put a little switch on the side, although I suppose I should just run it off the same power block my other pedals are on.  I've dithered on that because of the dastardly recessed power socket which needs a longer power plug.  Ordinary "boss" style ones can't quite reach.

Cheers

drummer4gc

If you're already going to drill for a switch, might as well drill out the hole for the power jack and replace it with a jack that accepts a standard plug so you can stop using batteries.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: Steelystan on January 26, 2018, 06:32:59 PM
[...]
Just finished modding a CBG95 for true bypass and the vocal Q resistor mod.
[...]

How do you find the Vocal mod? I tried to replace that 33k resistor with a 100k pot for a wide range, but (except when the pot was really close to the low set where I got no wah effect) I couldn't hear any difference in the wah. Indeed I excludede from my package mod.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Steelystan

At first I thought the vocal Q mod was a bit overrated.  I replaced the stock resistor with a 68k and found the resonance to be more peaky but also a bit narrow.  Effectively I had the same sound at either end of the pedals travel and a strong resonant hump in the middle.  I was going to reverse the mod, or try a pot. 

But in the process of performing the true bypass mod I removed the input buffer circuit and between that and the Q mod I suddenly got a really good sound.  So I'm going with it for now.

Next thing is to make a light plate for it.  Ive ordered some blue LEDs but I'm considering designing a circuit that changes the light colour from red to blue or green according to where the pedal us %^&*ed.  Might be cool.

thermionix

Yeah that input buffer is a dog.  Don't know why Dunlop did that instead of true bypass.  It would have been cheaper and better to just change the switch to a DPDT.

OTOH an output buffer can be very useful, enables the wah to work in front of a fuzz face.  I have mine wired to a 3PDT toggle so I can true bypass it and cut the power to it when not in use (switch while the wah is in bypass to avoid the pop!).

zombiwoof

I've always wondered if there is a way to use the section of the board that has the input buffer components to install an output buffer there.  Has anyone tried that?.
Al

Elijah-Baley

I bypassed the input buffer (without to desolder any components) and I added a Foxrox Retofit board in the output.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

thermionix

I used (a clone of) the FoxRox as well.  It has a dip-8 opamp, so couldn't be mounted in the place of a GCB-95 input buffer, which uses a single transistor.