News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Zener Diode

Started by robrhy, January 22, 2018, 02:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robrhy

Building a Fuzzdogs Phase 45 pedal.
BOM asks for a 5.1v zener diode but i only have 8.1v zener diodes.Would it be ok to use that?

Kipper4

Without seeing a schematic it's hard to say.
IIRC the 5v1zener would be used as a part of a biasing network.
So no I don't think the 8v1zener will work.
Welcome.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

highwater

Kipper's guess is correct - that sets the reference voltage. An 8.1v zener won't work.

A 4.7v zener or a 5.6v zener would be fine though. You might have less headroom that way, or you might not.

For testing, I *think* you could use a 10k resistor there... it might be noisy, might not give a full sweep, and the bias trimpot would need to be re-adjusted for different power supplies and/or as the battery wears down. BUT, if the pedal doesn't work at all, you'd be able to do some debugging while you wait for the zener.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

Clint Eastwood

If you have some ordinary diodes around, putting 7 in series would give you a resultant diode with a voltage drop of about 5 volts. In theory, in my sick minimalist mind this ought to work, but I have no idea if it will in reality....

robrhy

Thanks guys.Bought some 5.1 Zener diodes,all sounds fine.