1/4" jack socket intended for battery power switching (Not a TRS)?

Started by anotherjim, January 12, 2018, 05:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

I'm building a kit bass at the moment (great fun BTW) and came across something I haven't seen before  :icon_eek:
The jack socket supplied is a round barrel type (like the ones in cable extension sockets but with longer threaded barrel).

The socket has 3 terminals so I assumed it was TRS. The bass isn't active, but I assumed they supplied these in case it is for switching the battery negative just like you do with stompbox input jacks.

Anyway, I continuity test the terminals with a TRS plug inserted.
What I assumed was the ring terminal made no connection to the plug ring.
If I withdrew the plug a few mm, the ring contact made.
At first I though "yeh, typical cheap crap". Because I was hoping to use it as TRS for a stereo output option. Damn.
Actually, it's a decent metal (non-ferrous ) construction.

Could it be purpose made with a second Sleeve contact for battery switching?
Maybe I haven't noticed any before because I wasn't looking, but does anyone know of source for similar, preferably panel mount ones?
And are there any TRS with an extra sleeve contact?
I'd search, if I knew what to search for ;)

YellowBoy

Are you sure it's not just a case of "typical cheap crap" as you say?

Does it look like this? Usually seen in some telecaster/LP copies...

The only switched jack sockets I've ever come across are the usual suspects...I reckon because the barrels are just too narrow to accommodate the mechanical switching bits and bobs.

antonis

Jim, maybe you use them with 6mm plug..

(silly, of course, but sometimes...)  :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

Yes, similar, but sleeve/case terminal is without the cable clamp.

& thinking about it - the usual chassis/pcb types don't have room for an extra sleeve contact.

I should make it clear that I was wondering about sockets with an addition sleeve contact which will intentionally miss the ring portion of a TRS jack. Most of them rely on sleeve contact via the aperture only - there is no actual contact "finger" used. I'm thinking of a contact similar to ring & tip in operation and similarly isolated with no plug inserted. If a TRS plug should be inserted, the ring conductor does not get connected unless the socket also has a ring contact in the usual place behind the tip.

Consider the effect of plugging a balanced TRS into an output with a 9v battery negative on the ring  :o

...Ah, found something...

This is what I have!
...and...

..This would work for TRS "stereo" AND switch a battery negative. It calls the Ring contact "Centre".
& I think I guessed right -  there is an additional sleeve contact and it should miss the ring.