Single in-line sockets--Dislikes? --good or bad idea?

Started by jimbob, November 06, 2003, 12:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I have been having probs w the inline sockets i purchaced from mouser.. The seem a little fragile and the connection it makes to the board always seems a little week--no matter how well i solder it..Im taking them out of my other projects--Anyone else have problems w these? The transistor sockets i get-(mouser) are great..Just the single in lines that you break off depending on your need ( gold tips) I have probls with..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

BillyJ

Yes indeed I have had some troubles.
I think if I used a bigger bit on those holes to make the pins sit flush to the board I would be happier.
Have yo tried this yet?
I haven't cause I am lazy but I think if I did they would work a lot better.

Peter Snowberg

I always get "machined pin" sockets. They cost a lot more, but you never have problems with them holding and you don't have fragility problems like you get with "folded leaf" construction in cheaper sockets. The dowside is that the socket can cost much more than the chip you're putting in it.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

idlefaction

i remember looking in a catalogue for a socket for a PIC and found one that was $350!!!
Darren
NZ

BillyJ

Those are tho ones I am talking about. They have machined holes not the leaf ones.
They have a 'step' to them and I find if I just have that first part of the pin in the board and soldered it doesn't work that great.
Peter when you use them do you drill the holes so the black part sits fluch against the board?
I haven't yet and am convinced this is why these inlines haven't been the best for me.