J201 Source Drain Replacement

Started by POTL, January 19, 2018, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POTL

Hello
For a long time I was collecting various layouts on J201. Now I decided to create a full-fledged effect. When designing, I noticed that I was not creating layouts correctly, I did not properly look at the datasheet and collected layouts, mixing the drain and the source.
I checked that when I replaced the correct position, the sound did not change and the bias did not move.
I heard that it is possible to replace the source and drain.
Is this correct and the circuit will work correctly or will this change affect stability and durability?
Are you interested in J201 in the datasheets have information? I did not find.

R.G.

J201 datasheet from Fairchild says source and drain are interchangeable. Many JFETs have this property.

If your layout works, use it. It's OK.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Rob Strand

QuoteIs this correct and the circuit will work correctly or will this change affect stability and durability?
While it works, layouts with flipped pins will confuse the hell out of any beginners trying to debug their circuits.  Debugging is hard enough for beginners as it is!

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

R.G.

For help with confusing beginners, see "Dirty Tricks 101" at geofex.com.

:icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Rob Strand

Quote"Dirty Tricks 101" at geofex.com.
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/dirtytrk.htm
"My own personal conclusion is that obscuring the contents of an effect is a costly exercise in doubtful security. I suspect that is why most makers do not use these. But you should be aware of what is possible."

Very much so.

It reminds me of convoluted software protection schemes.    Following the scheme was very complicated indeed, sometimes involving hardware dongles,  but inevitably it would boil down to one call and one test.  People would just bypass the call and force the test to pass.  The convoluted stuff was easily side stepped.   I remember explaining that to companies and they said "Who's going to do that?" - well obviously someone is doing it!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

POTL

Quote from: R.G. on January 19, 2018, 04:46:34 PM
J201 datasheet from Fairchild says source and drain are interchangeable. Many JFETs have this property.

If your layout works, use it. It's OK.

I just found this note right under the pinout of the transistor in the datasheet
As they say in my country:
"If you want to hide something, put it in a prominent place"

it turns out that I can easily use interchangeable drain and source without worrying about the fact that my circuit may stop working or the transistor will deteriorate during long operation?
The reason for my question is simple, if I can interchange the drain and source, it will allow me to make the board more "beautiful"

POTL

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 19, 2018, 05:48:31 PM
QuoteIs this correct and the circuit will work correctly or will this change affect stability and durability?
While it works, layouts with flipped pins will confuse the hell out of any beginners trying to debug their circuits.  Debugging is hard enough for beginners as it is!

I do not quite understand which layouts you are talking about?  :)
If you mean something like this:

then I do not use this and prefer to read the information from the circuit (this allows me to study the operation of the circuit in parts)

I use such prototyping boards, it's very convenient.
Instead of wasting time analyzing the circuit in LTSpice, I can change components in real time and hear how the sound changes.
just in early 2017 I read the datasheet and managed to mix up the drain and source
a lot of mockups were on jfet some I decided to transfer to the circuit board and yesterday noticed that my macros have the wrong pinout when I read the datasheet I realized that when I read the datasheet, that all this time incorrectly created layouts.
Yesterday I decided to check what would happen if I changed the pinout on the layout, as a result, the sound and performance did not change.
Then it became interesting to me and what will happen with long-term use (I collected dozens of layouts, so they did not work for me for long) because I can design my PCBs more "beautiful"