FuzzFace Late 60s GGG question

Started by Atodovax, January 17, 2018, 08:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atodovax

Hello everybody, im building the Boutique late 60s NPN Fuzzface from General guitar gadgets and i have a doubt. Is this circuit negative ground or positive ground?. I alkready have the Ge transistors and dont want to blow them up. This is the layout.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_b69_npn.pdf
It seems to me like negative ground, but...... Shouldt the LED there be reversed?

GibsonGM

That's negative ground, Atodovax.  If you follow the battery " - " terminal up to the input jack, you see that it goes to the sleeve and ring (which will be connected when a plug is inserted"), and to the DC jack ground.    On output jack, you see the board grounds connecting to the sleeve, then back over to the input jack ground.   LED anode (+) is facing right.

So you were right!

Welcome to the forum! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Atodovax

Thank you very much! So i will reverse the LED ! :D

GibsonGM

Well, if 'reverse' means to make it the same as the GGG schematic, ok!  :)   Anode faces to the "right"...usually the longer leg of the LED...if it is reversed, it will simply not light up.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Atodovax

Isnt the anode facing left at the "Parts Layout" ?

bluebunny

No, it's the cathode facing left.  Here's a way to remember the orientation of the diode symbol: the triangle half of the symbol is like the letter "A" (anode), while the straight line into which the triangle points is like the letter "K" ("kathode").

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...