Boss PH-1r volume mod

Started by Snufkinoob, February 16, 2018, 02:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

Found this in a decade-old post:

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 05, 2007, 01:09:53 PM
It is a FET-based phaser which means that there is a 99.9% likelihod the trimpot is for biasing the FETs.  Since the two dual op-amps on the lower right are identical in their component complement and have FETs sitting beside them, it is a sure thing that those two are your 4 phase shift stages.  The chip on the upper left is a TL022 which makes it your LFO section.  That leaves the dual op-amp on the upper right as your input buffer/splitter and mixer/output stage.

It is VERY common practice to "bypass" such pedals simply by cancelling/lifting the wet signal at the point where wet and dry mix together to produce the phase-shift effect.  The cancelling/lifting is done with a single FET.  My guess is that the transistor waaaaaayyyyy up in the right hand corner is such a FET.  If so, it will likely be a 2SK30A or 2SJ184 or something like that (the number shown will start with a J or K).  One of the pins of that FET will go to a small-to-medium value resistor (let's say between 10k and 100k), which in turn will likely go to pin 2 or 6 of that chip (the inverting input).  Once you identify which "side" of the 4558 it goes to, there will be a resistor straddling either pins 2 and 1, or pins 6 and 7. That resistor will set the gain of output stage.  If you find it too loud, you can reduce the value of that resistor a bit. So, if it was, say, 100k, you could consider replacing it with a 91k or 82k resistor.  Alternatively, you can solder a 2nd resistor in parallel on the copper side of the board to produce some specific parallel resistance value (e.g., a 680k parallel resistance plus a 100k unit on the board itself would get you 87k). Higher resistance values get you more gain/output, lower values get you less.

And just wanted to double-check which resistor it is.

Here's the schematic: http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/Boss%20PH-1r.pdf

Is it the 47k at IC1B (pins 6,7) Or the 47k atIC1A (pins 1,2) I'm guessing the latter? Or am I getting completely confused?

Slowpoke101

• SUPPORTER