Boss CE1 project coming soon

Started by DFX-PCBS, January 23, 2018, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFX-PCBS

I have been working on a clone of the retro sonic chorus, a true bypass pedal powered from the standard 9V were all use to.
Producing lush chorus and awesome vibrato sounds. The project will currently use the MN3002 chip as rare as they are, if you can source 1 then it will be worth it. Future plans are to try and get the same sound using the ever so slightly more available MN3007 (tweeks needed)
The project will actually come with the dc converter needed to power the pedal.

Current Progress:
Initial prototype made and working
Final design and layout close to being finished

Feel free to post your interest
WATCH THIS SPACE...............

willwaush

Interested in the working prototype and project. Hopefully you will come out soon with it. I will be glad to help with the chips if needed.
Which DC DC are you using and how btw?

DFX-PCBS

The layout will be something like this

Kevin Mitchell

Hmmm haven't really considered the CE1. All the hype is in the CE-2 :icon_lol: I wonder what the major difference between the MN3002 and MN3004 are. I see the input biases differ so also the amount of noise between the two (signal to noise is 70db for the 3002 and 85db for 3004)

I have a handful of MN3204 BBDs that could use a home. They of course take a different voltage but has a s/n ratio of 77db. I wonder...  :icon_mrgreen:

These are all 512 stage BBDs. I'm feeling an itch to tinker.
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

willwaush

Great man. What brand and model of DC converter were you thinking of using? There is one thing that I am struggling with which is... sharing or not the external 9V GND to the DC converter isolated 0V ground... how did you do with your prototype and how did it turn out?
Also, which kind of brand of converter are you using. I recently faced with some expensive ones but which have way low ripple current and have a better capacitive impedance instead of most of the converters out there... I was just wondering if all this is an overkill since you got a working prototype already

DFX-PCBS

I researched what the retro sonic chorus was using and managed to get the same module.

http://www.micropowerdirect.com/index.html

willwaush

Oh, great. Which model is it? I want to take a look at its datasheet just to see if it has better of worse specs. I am still curious to know if you are leaving the grounds isolated or not. Thanks.

DFX-PCBS

The MP211

+Vin
-Vin

-14v
Gnd
+14v

The grounds are isolated, so all the grounds in the circuit do not connect to your dc jack input ground(negative), they connect to a kind of virtual ground

willwaush

Seems like I can't find the model that you specified. I can only find this working on 9V
http://www.micropowerdirect.com/PDF%20Files/Datasheets/DCDC/MD/MD100xE-Datasheet.pdf
Sadly this doesn't seem to provide enough current (?)
would you mind posting a datasheet? Thank you!

Okay abut the virtual ground. I do agree with that, it makes sense. I would make the virtual ground connected to the I/O jack's as well.

willwaush

Can I ask you which transistor subs are you using/planning to use?

2SK30 -> ?
2SA733Q -> ?
2SC900F -> ?
2SA493 -> ?
2SC536F -> ?

DFX-PCBS

doesn't anyone do their own research any more LOL

2SK30 -> 2SK30 as it is still available and is a good transistor, MPF102 is my second choice, J201 should work fine too
2SA733Q -> BC560 although the 2SA733 is still available and cheap
2SC900F -> MPSA18
2SA493 -> BC560
2SC536F -> BC548

DFX-PCBS

Here is my final design of the 'KING OF CHORUS' project...hopefully. Time to get this fabricated and tested.

willwaush

Would it be much more difficult to make an actual CE-1 board with no true bypass? I have tried myself but I can't get my prototype to work sadly. The DC/DC shunts down and the LM1458 seems to do nothing...

DFX-PCBS

I shouldn't think it would be difficult.
Maybe there's an error in your schematic, I can take a look if you like

willwaush

Quote from: DFX-PCBS on February 04, 2018, 08:00:59 PM
I shouldn't think it would be difficult.
Maybe there's an error in your schematic, I can take a look if you like
I am dropping you an email with the schematic and boards! Thank you!

nickbungus

Willwaush, what subs did you use if you dont mind me asking?
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

nickbungus

Thanks Larry, but I was curious if willwaush used the same
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

willwaush

2SK30 -> 2SK30 or 2N5457
2SA733Q -> 2SA733
2SC900F -> 2SC900
2SA493 -> 2N3906
2SC536F -> 2N3904

DFX-PCBS

Hi, I have been having some time off building, as promised here are some images of my CE1 prototype. I still have to test the stereo output and check things with my oscilloscope.