PCB and cheese toasties - finally a fool proof toner transfer device

Started by replaceablehead, April 09, 2018, 08:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

replaceablehead

For decades man has wandered in darkness. He has wasted countless hours trying to perfect his ironing technique only to have the paper slide and smudge and not get hot enough. In frustration he has beat his chest gotten out his wallet and forked over the cash for a laminator, only to find he bought the wrong model, it too doesn't get hot enough and has to be modified to fit the PCB.

I'm exaggerating a little, irons work fine and the right laminator can be even better, but they're still not truly fool proof. There must be a better way, there must be an affordable common household item, perhaps one that smells slightly of cheddar cheese and toast crumbs?

Behold, the $19 Kmart sandwich press! http://www.kmart.com.au/product/2-slice-sandwich-press/106391?search=paid&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuN-ch7Cu2gIVwiMrCh2fygVdEAQYAiABEgLkYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN2T-4uwrtoC@#$%lgodpjEF1w

This thing is the bomb! I mean you cannot mess it up. I align the tranfer on the board, close lid, turn it on, stack a few volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica on top and come back in 5 - 10 minutes. And that's me being paranoid.

I'm not the first to think of this by a long shot, the main objection in the past was that toasted sandwich makers were assumed to be more expensive. Now this particular unit is available in Australia, but I'm betting no matter where you are there will be something similar, unless you live in some strange place that doesn't like toasted cheese sandwiches. Also these things come up second hand all the time, bigger and better ones too.

I know everyone's got their favourite method, but I really think this ones a winner, so I thought I'd share my success.

Rob Strand

Thanks, that's a really cool idea.

I know a guy that converted a Mini-Oven to do reflow soldering for SMD prototypes.

All this wife-friendly equipment.   What else is there?
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

bean

That's really neat! I used a laminator for quite a while with some success. You kind of had to push through .062" PCB to get it to run...usually several times.

PRR

> the $19 Kmart sandwich press!

That one has flat plates?

Most that I see on the US market, home-grade, have "ribs" to make "grille marks" in your sandwich. I assume that would be bad for cooking a transfer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Panini-Maker-Model-25460/16503563  (ribbed, $25)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SB8LLE/  (flat, $24, less compliant lid)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018E6HGI/  (flat, but $50)

I also found one which presses a Hello Kitty in every sandwich- I won't post the link.
  • SUPPORTER

replaceablehead

Interesting, the "George Foreman" design was popular here to, but it died off. The ribbed design helps drain fat, but it makes the toaster less versatile. The flat plate design is common in fast food shops and it gets used for a wide variety of toasted anything.

This kind of explains why the idea hasn't caught on. I mean it works so well and just about everyone in Australia has one sitting in there kitchen cupboard next to the never used hamburger maker and waffle iron. They're a wedding gift staple and pop up at thrift stores constantly. I've been "regifted" a half dozen of these devices over the years.

PRR

> The flat plate design is common in fast food shops

Also here on $300-$600 jobs clearly intended for commercial use.

I did find a low-price flat one but the heating surfaces are *recessed* so it won't cook anything thinner than a sandwich.

I am wondering if someone here has washed a $24 model and can confirm that the ribbed-plates reverse to flat plates. I remember that being an option on some older cookers, such as waffle/pancake.
  • SUPPORTER

replaceablehead

Wow, that seems amazing! The flat plate design is 80% of the market here. These things are coming so far out the wazoo you can't visit your aunts place without her trying palm her old one off onto you. These things get chucked in rubbish piles. That's just unbelievable!

oip

interesting... i wonder how this would handle enclosures?  using an iron for etching is incredibly frustrating process

with this and a toaster oven for quickly drying spray paint that would be an amazing kitchen-based setup

replaceablehead

I'll be trying an enclosure next. This unit allows the top plate to articulate quite a bit to accommodate sandwiches of all girths. I think it will work, but I might be calling it too soon.

DIY Bass

I had not even thought of that.  Ours has a lock on it to hold the top plate well above an open sandwich so you can melt the cheese without the plate pushing directly onto it. It would go wide enough to easily do an enclosure I would think, and the top plate is on a swivel to keep it level no matter the height.

replaceablehead

Just tried closing it with a 1590b, and there is plenty of room.

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: PRR on April 09, 2018, 09:51:31 PM

I also found one which presses a Hello Kitty in every sandwich- I won't post the link.

Damn you to hell. You must post the link!!! Must have hello kitty, arrrgghh!

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

duck_arse

Quote* Fits 2 sandwiches
* Warning: Do not use this product to cook or defrost food. Follow usage instructions carefully.

where's my other sandwich?

looks like a good idea. and toasties in the shed.
don't make me draw another line.

GGBB

This is mind blowing.:-) Can someone post pics of transfers? I'm not doubting I just need a little more justification since I have still not used the laminator I bought for transfers last year.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: duck_arse on April 10, 2018, 11:10:49 AM
and toasties in the shed.

That alone is a big deal. I previously had a habit of forgetting to eat and drink while building. Now I have a fridge in the garage with a water filter/ice maker and it is a game-changer. I pretty much don't have to leave the garage ever 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

They're about to ruin that damn sammich.  You don't toast the lettuce and tomato!

QuoteAll this wife-friendly equipment.   What else is there?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=116903.msg1096626#msg1096626

oip

that's good news about an enclosure fitting! 

also presumably if it fits two sandwiches it could easily fit a 1590B and a sandwich at the same time > maximum efficiency

vigilante397

Quote from: oip on April 11, 2018, 01:14:02 AM
also presumably if it fits two sandwiches it could easily fit a 1590B and a sandwich at the same time > maximum efficiency

THIS.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

replaceablehead

I was too impatient and I already started populating the boards. tbh my results weren't mind blowing, in fact using this method made it more clear that I have to iron out some kinks with the rest of my process. The toner density I think is actually too high and it's made me doubt the cheap yellow Chinese transfer paper. But despite that it's still obvious that this beats ironing by a long shot.

I did two boards and the results were incredibly consistent. I really think it worked so well that normal print settings should be used for sharper transfers. The other variable will be getting the pressure right, I think I over did it with the encyclopedia's on top. The thing I like about it is it's eliminate the human element, there is no skill needed, it's now just a matter of dialing in fixed parameters. Ultimately there will be some purist who will insist the iron gives them greater control, it allows them to feel out the board and the finished result has a "warmer" sound, but times change.

I'll be doing an enclosure shortly, I'll post pics of that.