Back to back transformers - connecting the secondaries

Started by Yazoo, April 05, 2019, 04:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yazoo

I am going to use two back to back transformers to power a tube project. When I connect the secondaries together, in this case 0 - 12 and 0 - 12, which pins should be connected together? In one example I saw, it was 0 on one to 12 on the other and 12 on one to 0 on the other.

mth5044

Quote from: Yazoo on April 05, 2019, 04:47:37 PM
I am going to use two back to back transformers to power a tube project. When I connect the secondaries together, in this case 0 - 12 and 0 - 12, which pins should be connected together? In one example I saw, it was 0 on one to 12 on the other and 12 on one to 0 on the other.

There isn't any 0 or 12 on transformers since you are using AC. The way you are phrasing it makes me thing you are using a DC? This will not work. You need to use an AC wall wart feeding a transformer, then rectifying afterwards. When you use AC, I don't believe it matters what you connect to what as you'll have a tough time distinguishing differences anyway.

amptramp

The only difference from connecting 0-0/12-12 and 0-12/12-0 is the phase of the output, which will not matter and not even be detectable if you are using a bridge rectifier.  If you are using a half-wave rectifier (not recommended), you may be able to see a difference on a scope, but it won't make any difference.

Yazoo

GibsonGM

Quote from: Yazoo on April 05, 2019, 05:41:20 PM
Great, that's put my mind at rest. Many thanks.

It's been 20 minutes - are you still ok?  :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Yazoo

Mellowed out nicely thanks. Could devote myself properly to watching Umbrella Academy with the full attention it deserves. ;)