Bypass capacitor(s) on opamp rails, two or one?

Started by Max999, February 12, 2018, 08:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max999

I am working on a circuit that uses an opa1641 opamp. In the layout guidelines I read " Connect low-ESR, 0.1-µF ceramic bypass capacitors between each supply pin and ground, placed as close to the device as possible. A single bypass capacitor from V+ to ground is applicable for singlesupply
applications".

The thing that confuses me is this: when I am using a "virtual ground", is the circuit still considered to be singlesupply? Don't we effectively make a bipolar supply by using a virtual ground?

I have made two quick schematics to illustrate the two versions of decoupling. Which one is correct? The U1 version or the U2 version?

thermionix

I read it to mean like your first diagram.  If the .1 connects to Vref, it sees ground through the 47uF electro, which may not be low enough ESR for the purpose.

antonis

Quote from: Max999 on February 12, 2018, 08:31:10 PM
The thing that confuses me is this: when I am using a "virtual ground", is the circuit still considered to be singlesupply? Don't we effectively make a bipolar supply by using a virtual ground?
Virtual ground concerns Signal, not Supply.. :icon_wink:

We may have a +18/-18 op-amp with a Vref of different than 0 Volts level..
Our opamp is still considered as bi-polar fed.. :icon_wink:
Or a +36/0 with Vref of +18V (or any other desirable level..)..
Our opamp is still considered as single supply fed.. :icon_wink:

For supply decoupling caps:
If single supply is used there is only one cap needed (+Vcc -> GND)
If bi-polar //       //       //  are two options: either 2 caps (Vcc -> GND & Vee -> GND) or one cap (Vcc <-> Vee)
(the second prefered in cases of signal directly refered to GND to prevent supply noise coupling..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Antonis already said most of what i would say but there are a few little things that I want to add.

1) Personally, I always use only one capacitor, due to noise isolation between power ground and signal ground. Especially with dual supplies, since the caps could complete a "ground loop" which picks up extra noise and hum.

2) if you ever decide to use two caps, make shure they are not of the same value. Having caps of the same value makes it easier for a system to cause oscillation (often far above our hearing range), which could potentially kill your opamp. I had this happen to me last year in school (electrical Engineering), one IC just stoped working, after checking what the problem was, we tried it on again, after about 3 seconds, the signal went all weird, clipping a lof of un natural harmonic content appeared. My mate went to get a teacher and while he was gone, the IC started smoking and it exploded.
To be honest, I don't suppose this will ever happen to a normal OpAmp, but still, a thimg to look out for.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

EBK

My take: When one of your supply pins is connected to power supply ground, that is single supply, whether you use ground or some other voltage as your signal reference.  Use a single cap, as the spec says, in this situation.

I suppose I didn't really add anything to what everyone else has said....
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Max999

It is very nice to get the same answer from everybody. So a virtual ground circuit is still a single supply circuit.
I found another answer from somebody online that I wanted to add, for completeness of the topic. He said it depends on to whih ground the load resistor goes. He stated that if the output load goes to ground you use two capacitors, and when it goes to either supply rail you use one. He made this diagram.

Thoughts?

@iainpunk My killed opamps all fizzled out and gave magic smoke. I am kinda jealous you made one explode.