Trouble with DynaComp

Started by Willthebold, November 06, 2003, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willthebold

Just finished putting it together and I'm getting lots o distortion.  The compression sounds like it's there, but it's hard to tell.  Lots o gain though.  Any ideas?

Will

brett

If you've got heaps of gain and distortion, even with the sustain control turned down, it must be in the signal path.  If it's only there when the sustain is turned up, it's in the compression circuit (ie too much control current thru pin 5 of the 3080).  Check the value of your 27k (twenty seven k) resistor.  Then check the value of the 150k resistor on the collectors of Q3 and Q4.  Is the 10uF cap in the right way around? Then re-check everything...even new battery, etc.

Sorry, but without some more info, there's 101 things it could be.  :cry:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Willthebold

There's gain present even when the sustain is turned all the way down, but it increases when you crank the sustain.  I'll try checking some of those transistors.  If you have any other ideas, let me know.  Thanks.

Will

Willthebold

Willthebold

I tried the audio-probe and the gain seemed to first come out at pin 3 of the IC.  Any ideas?

Will

Willthebold