Carmen Ghia tone control on a Noisy Cricket / Ruby

Started by SpencerPedals, February 18, 2018, 02:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpencerPedals

Has anyone else experimented with a Ghia (/Matchless Chieftain mid) tone control in front of the Ruby/Noisy Cricket?  I removed the input buffer from the circuit and replaced it with the first FET-replacing-a-tube from the Ghia as well as the one-knob tone control that follows it.  So far just the one FET (J201) and the tone control going into the 386.  It gets incredibly bright and thin at the most clockwise rotation, in a cool old-timey recording sort of way.  The counter-clockwise (bassy) rotation is lacking bottom end, though.  I plan on playing with capacitor values from here, but I was curious about whether or not anyone else had experimented with this tone control.  I've built a Noisy Cricket with the usual lowpass tone control, and that works, but it's a bit underwhelming.  For one-knobbing, the Ghia-style controls moves frequencies around in an interesting way.  Madbean did a similar thing with FETs in his "Rump Roast" and reported extreme treble with Ghia values, but no lack in bass. 

thermionix

SpencerPedals

Quote from: thermionix on February 18, 2018, 05:36:17 PM
Isn't a Carmen Ghia a car?

A Karmann Ghia is a car made by Volkswagen.  A Carmen Ghia is an amplifier made by Dr. Z.     :)

PRR

> A Karmann Ghia is a car made by Volkswagen.

The bodies were made by Karmann, on of course a Beetle under-thing.

I had never seen a Type 34. This explains much about the Corvair.
  • SUPPORTER