lm339.... in a fuzz?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, February 18, 2018, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aph

Quote from: Kipper4 on February 20, 2018, 01:36:57 PM
Would using diodes in parallel with the 100k (nfb)make it musically fuzzy? If that's a thing?

Gives a slightly different character, of course. Makes the highest notes of the guitar "sing" just a touch better.
The sample I posted is without the diodes.

PRR

> the chip output can swing most of 0 - 9v (*)..... * it isn't an active swing to +9v.

470nFd against 15K means full swing to 22Hz, 1/10th swing at 220Hz, 1/100th swing (40mV!) at 2KHz.

And asymmetrical, so with output biased at 4.5V any huge signal will slam the average output bias to 0.1V and trash the other half of the wave.
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

Nice work.
Sounds very synthy.
I like it.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

anotherjim

LM339 sounds like a fine crunch fuzz but probably not a sustaining-singing effect?
Can't get my head around the bargraph one - is it just one LED output heard from an otherwise standard meter circuit?

Here's a chip I plan to play with....

TL594 (also TL494) block diagram.
Osc has a sawtooth on the timing cap.
Flip-flop is hard wired as divide by 2

Aph

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 19, 2018, 07:12:34 PM
Not only that  when it clips the output is going to be a saw-tooth as the o/p transistor will short out the cap quite easily in the negative direction but the cap can only charge slowly in the positive direction.

Quote from: PRR on February 20, 2018, 04:52:34 PM
And asymmetrical, so with output biased at 4.5V any huge signal will slam the average output bias to 0.1V and trash the other half of the wave.

Looking at a scope, it is indeed a sawtooth with a flattened bottom. Adding diodes, of course, makes it more square. With diodes, on the higher notes, it's stays like a sawtooth until the note "blooms" and you can see the waveform slighly flatten the saw peaks... compressing ever so slightly. I guess this explains the "singing" I was refering to.

Rob Strand

QuoteCan't get my head around the bargraph one - is it just one LED output heard from an otherwise standard meter circuit?
I don't think it can be done.  Before the dedicated chips the LM339 was often used for bargraph circuits.   However you can't use bar graphs chips for opamps as the opamps are hardwired (well unless the chip actually has a free opamp inside.)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Aph

PRR

> I don't think it can be done. .... you can't use bar graphs chips for opamps

No; but I thot the idea was a FUZZ. If the bottom LED lights your cone moves forward, else back. A comparator with a small offset.

Dreading Aph's threatened demo.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Ok, so how about a LM3914 pseudo-bitcrusher while we at at it?   :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

No; but I thot the idea was a FUZZ. If the bottom LED lights your cone moves forward, else back. A comparator with a small offset.
Dreading Aph's threatened demo.
Ah, that's going to be angry.

Maybe a crude digitizer.

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Aph

Here ya go... the sweetest sounds this side of metal Motown. With some incredibly delicious virtuosic playing by yours truly.

https://soundcloud.com/nicenportly/lm3914-fuzz-demo

Aph

Quote from: anotherjim on February 20, 2018, 05:07:03 PM
Can't get my head around the bargraph one - is it just one LED output heard from an otherwise standard meter circuit?

Here's a chip I plan to play with....

>>>>TL594 (also TL494) block diagram.<<<<

Osc has a sawtooth on the timing cap.
Flip-flop is hard wired as divide by 2

The internal drawing of the LM3914 just shows basically a buffer hooked up to several comparators which I figured just pulsed the LED's. Pulse = sound (in this case).

I actually picked up a TL594, too. Let us know what you come up with!  :)

Rob Strand

QuoteHere ya go... the sweetest sounds this side of metal Motown. With some incredibly delicious virtuosic playing by yours truly
Gates a bit on the small signals but it sounds a lot better than I expected! 
I could smooth it out a bit with my sound card EQ.

I wonder if adding a dither signal (with noise) helps at all.

Aph

Quote from: Rob Strand on February 20, 2018, 06:49:26 PM
I wonder if adding a dither signal (with noise) helps at all.
Yeah, I never thought of that. Maybe I'll keep playing with it a little.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Aph on February 20, 2018, 02:53:39 PM
Here's a demo of the LM339 fuzz circuit:

https://soundcloud.com/nicenportly/lm339-fuzz-demo

Complete with unintelligible guitar playing by yours truly.
I may also upload a sample of the LM3914 fuzz... yeah, that's a threat.

dude, your playing is fine. and that fuzz has a pretty cool tone!!!! i can dig it. has a really cool kinda almost muted fuzz kinda tone. the reverb helps for sure.

intrigued!! hopefully can spend some breadboard time when stuff slows down... thanks brother!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Aph

Thanks, jimi.
Try the diodes across the output pot as per Kipper4's suggestion. It's very subtle, but I think I prefer it.