Problem with Deep Blue Delay clone.

Started by HarryQ, February 22, 2018, 06:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryQ

I recently got a Deep Blue Delay clone.  It was nicely made from a kit, though not by me.  It runs from an external standard 9 volt power supply.  The odd thing is, when you first plug it in to the power supply, and connect it to the guitar and amp, it doesn't work.  It passes signal in the off mode, and the LED lights in the on mode, but there is no effect.  If I unplug the power supply from the box and plug it back in, it works perfectly, and turns on and off with the foot switch fine.  If I unplug it for about 20 seconds, the effect is gone again when I next plug it in, until I unplug the power supply and plug it in again.  Then it works perfectly again.  I'm hoping you kind folks can help me understand what's going on, because this is driving me nuts!  Thanks for any help!

Ripthorn

It seems from your description that perhaps the power supply filtering cap might be bad. It might be that it is having trouble either charging up, or it shorts a little bit initially. That is where I would look first.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

HarryQ

Thanks very much Ripthorn!  I'll check that out.

antonis

Brian, your catch should be good only in case of LED powered from different supply.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

welcome, HarryQ, as antonis might say.

the deep blue delay is PT2399 based, is it not? they are known to lock-up under certain circustances [sic], one being too low a resistance-to-ground on the delay pin (pin 6) at power-on. the other is the grounds problem - some circuits are about that don't connect pin 3 ground and pin 4 ground, upsetting the internals. inspect your board for a link between pins, or just flat out fit one.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on February 23, 2018, 09:18:56 AM
My post came AFTER his SECOND post, Stephen...  :icon_lol:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

slashandburn

I second what Duck suggested. I'm no authority on this but what youdescribe sounds a bit like the pt2399 "locking up" which will apparently happen if pins 3 and 4 aren't both grounded.  Seems like an oversight on a few of the pcb kicking about. On the one I found I had to jumper the pins myself.

Jumper pins 3 and 4 and see if it solves it. They should both go to ground anyway so I can't see it doing any harm if its not the issue.

duck_arse

Quote from: antonis on February 23, 2018, 09:27:00 AM

the point, antonis, is that a new poster had not been welcomed, by anyone, and he's already at post 2.

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on February 23, 2018, 10:02:36 AM
Quote from: antonis on February 23, 2018, 09:27:00 AM
the point, antonis, is that a new poster had not been welcomed, by anyone, and he's already at post 2.
I fully empathize with your rightful frustration, Stephen, but I'm not able to establish a formula for posts number/wellcomes received time proportion...

HarryQ

Thanks everyone, and I do feel properly welcomed!  I have lots of experience wiring guitars, and I just built a Mod 101 kit amp, but pedal electronics is new to me.  You've given me some great advice, and I'll try not to blow up the pedal.  By the way, it really is a great sounding delay when it's working!

HarryQ

Update- I soldered a hard link between pin 3 and 4 of the PT2399, and it worked perfectly!  It now works first time every time!  Thanks very much to everyone who took the time to help a newbie.  You guys are great!

patrick398

Quote from: antonis on February 23, 2018, 10:22:43 AM
I fully empathize with your rightful frustration, Stephen, but I'm not able to establish a formula for posts number/wellcomes received time proportion...

Foruhm's Law right? Welcomes received = Posts number divided by Time proportion

patrick398

duck_arse

nice one, Harry. if only they was all as easy.

antonis

Quote from: HarryQ on February 23, 2018, 04:23:28 PM
You've given me some great advice..
Not great enough to never mess up with those #@%$ :icon_twisted: PT2399s, I'm afraid .. :icon_wink: