TB wiring not working with battery

Started by Saturated, February 23, 2018, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturated

Hi all,
I'm sure I'm doing something very basic wrong here but can't seem to work it out.
Ive built a npn silicone fuzz face. I have wired it true bypass using the ggg wiring diagram. It works great with power pack but when I try to run it with battery i get the bypassed signal fine and zero signal when I turn the effect on. I've checked the wiring 3 times and I am sure it's according to diagram. I thought I'd post it here in case it's something common I've overlooked. Any help with this would be appreciated.

antonis

Does the On-Bypass LED (if you use one) light in battery power mode..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Saturated

Thanks for the reply antonis
I will check this when back in workshop. I'll get back to you.

Saturated

Hi Antonis, sorry about the delay. Yes I use an led and no it doesn't light in battery mode. Lights fine with power pack.

Saturated

I have a 27k before the led which makes the led quite dim. . I know that's too high but it's all I had. This would not affect anything other than led brightness, correct?

thermionix

Correct.  Just a guess, but you might have the DC jack wired incorrectly, not allowing the battery to connect.  Or you have one with a malfunctioning internal switch.

Saturated

Thanks Thermionix,
Will check wiring again and get a new one wired in. Will see how that goes.

Saturated

I've done it like this. When you say "board negative" I have it going to the sleeve of the input. Same thing?

thermionix

Yes that's correct.  Board neg. connects to ground, as do input and output sleeves.

mth5044

Saturated

Not a flat battery. That's the first thing I checked.

bluebunny

What voltages do you get on the two "battery +" and "board +" lugs on your DC jack?  (Without a PSU plugged in.)

Some pictures of your actual wiring might be useful too.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Saturated

You mean connect a battery and put a meter across the red and purple without the power pack plugged in?

Saturated

duck_arse

you want to do that battery test without the plug from the wallwart plugged into the dc socket. if that still reads 0V, you have a bad switch in the dc jack.
don't make me draw another line.

Saturated

Yep, that's what I did. Zero. I did buy a new jack today so will put it in as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the help so far. I'll post an update

bluebunny

Quote from: bluebunny on February 24, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
What voltages do you get on the two "battery +" and "board +" lugs on your DC jack?  (Without a PSU plugged in.)

Quote from: Saturated on February 24, 2018, 08:13:21 AM
You mean connect a battery and put a meter across the red and purple without the power pack plugged in?

No, I meant take two readings: once on the red lug (you should see your battery's voltage) and once on the purple lug (this will show whether the battery's volts are getting to your PCB when the PSU isn't plugged in).  When you take these readings, use the red lead from your meter.  The black lead should be connected to 0V for all readings - so any ground point in your circuit (a jack screen, for example).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Saturated

Thanks Bluebunny.
Tried this, got 6.15 on both readings. Is that too low?