What is the best active splitter you can build?

Started by Esppse, February 24, 2018, 01:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esppse

Hello,

I have built one of these.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

I don't know what I did wrong, but it is quite noisy and colored. And every time I put it next to an adapter, the EMI creates a really loud hum. I used a transformer from weber, one of those small ones.

I was curious if anyone has built a splitter like the Radial Twin city, or something of that quality, and if it gives any noise/hum problems when splitting signals to 2 or 3 amps.

Thanks

GGBB

The AMZ splitter circuit isn't a complete solution as in something you'd want to actually use exactly as is. That's because it has no power supply filtering and is the reason why yours is noisy. Also, shielding is important - you haven't specified whether your build is an actual pedal or a breadboard - most circuits are noisy when on a breadboard because they have no shielding.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

The AMZ one is perfect, works flawlessly every time...provided, as Gord said, that you are using a filtered power supply and that it is in a shielded enclosure.   

Any circuit will suffer if those 2 conditions aren't met.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Esppse

Ahhhh, I put it in an enclosure, mxr type, but used only a wall wart adapter.  I'll try an outlet from a voodoo pp2. Thanks!

EBK

Am I the only one that would just throw a dual or quad op amp at that problem, depending on how many outputs I needed?  I know it wasn't always the case, but today it would be cheaper, quieter, and simpler, right?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

PRR

The AMZ project is over 10 years old. The world has changed.

I would just throw an opamp at it. One regular audio opamp can drive two dozen stage loads. Put about 2K in series with each output, for cable effect and also so that one (even two) shorted outputs (stuff happens) do not kill the signal.
  • SUPPORTER