Newbie - modifiying a 4 control Keeley build to include a blend function

Started by jmp220478, February 25, 2018, 06:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmp220478

Apologies if this has already been extensively covered - put picked up a Keeley 4 control clone n would like to add a blend function if thats a simple option

many thanks for looking

swever

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The first thing I would do is see if the box has enough space to fit an extra potentiometer and a board. I can suggest you this project because I used it once and it seemed to work well.

If there is, I would try to build the board and connects it and see if I like the result.

ps I don't remember if 4knob does flips the polarity of the signal or does anything not so cool with the phase response. If it does, you may find that the 50:50 position sound the worst and the quietest.

jmp220478

Many thanks - I will check it out ..

Has anyone else reviewed the byoc 5 knob schematic vs the keeley type version ?

swever

I built this, which is apparently a 5knob (David himself stated that). Its a very nice sounding compressor but I faced an issue after I boxed it up and wired bypass. The problem is that the output it way too quiet, and I can barely acheive unity level with bypassed signal when the compressor is set to its most loud extremes. The problem seems to be within the wet signal path, because I can get a decent boost with its ratio (which actually is a mix control) set to 100% dry. There apparently is an error either in my build or the layout. I was going to make a debugging thread (yes, another one, lol) soon.