SS/Tube Preamp question

Started by Robin, November 07, 2003, 01:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

After a lot of modifications (power supply, biasing, coupling, etc.) I managed to cobble together a little amp from an old record player. The tube output stage is a single pentode and needed a big signal to do it's thing so I used opamps for buffer, tone and gain and a LM386 miniamp as driver. It's surprising good sounding (and quiet!) but I really want to use it as a preamp for my old Acoustic 150 SS workhorse. I know how to add a "line out" using resistors to to attenuate the signal for this use, but doesn't this type of resistive load present an equal impedance at all audio frequencies? I guess what I'm saying is that I want to preserve the speaker coil's response and pick off part of that signal without altering it for use as a preamp. I'm sure this has been done before --- any advise?[/quote]

puretube

if you`re gonna play loud anyway,
why not leave the speaker connected to
your tube (pre-)amp, and pick off its
speaker-signal directly parallel from the speaker?
(maybe attenuated by a 50k pot)

Robin

Thanks,

I know I was stepping off the deep end (for me) with this one. All I was thinking about was how to preserve the speaker coil response. I may be mistaken in thinking that adding a resistive load (resistor-based attenuator, pot or crossover) in parallel with the frequency based (inductive load?) of a speaker would alter the overall frequency response.
I cut the cone out of a speaker to make a dummy load and thought there might be a way to cleanly transfer a reduced copy of the signal and avoid getting into transformers, low-pass modeling filters and such. Maybe a low value L-pad would be ok and I'll try it. I know it's lo-fi here.

puretube

cutting out the cone (and taking the coil out of the spkr-magnet) makes the coil behave just like a tiny inductor - not like a dynamic Loudspeaker anymore...