Yesterday was a sad day for me and DIYstompboxes

Started by aron, March 06, 2018, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digi2t

Lost my Pops in 2015.

From your description, sounds like your old man was cut from the same cloth as mine.

Hopefully, they'll run into each other in the Great Beyond. I'm sure they'll get along famously.

My deepest condolences on you loss.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

R.G.

Let me add to the chorus. It's truly a sobering thing to lose your parents. Well, it was for me.

It's been over twenty five years since my dad died. I still "see" him sometimes out of the corner of my eye, or more lately he'll appear in my dreams, and what he "says" is exactly as I remembered him. I find I understand him better now after my brain has sifted through the memories over the years. I'm closer to what I remember of him than I was when he was alive. I still regret that didn't happen while he was alive.

You may have had more of the good interactions with your father while he was alive. That's very good. Hold them close. You'll still be remembering them decades later.

But it hurts now. My sympathies to you.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Both of my parents are gone and it is unpleasant and disruptive for a while but he would be proud of the forum you have created and the following you now have.

Marcos - Munky

amz-fx

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Both of my parents are gone, so I can relate to how you feel. My sincere condolences.

All the best, Jack

PRR

My thoughts are with you, Aron.

My Dad's 86th birthday was yesterday, and I made sure to call him.

> I suspect there won't be a single day that goes by where you won't be thinking at some point "Oh, dad will absolutely get a kick out of this". 

This. My email-buddy died in a crash 16 months back. About every day I note something that "Jared would love this", engines, computers, old songs; and miss him deeply.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

So sorry to hear your news, Aron.  Your dad sounds like a wonderful guy, and the memories will last forever.  Love and peace from London.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

kristopher612

Aron, I'm so sorry for your loss. I like st my dad 9 years ago and that was the hardest loss I've faced so I can empathize with you.
I also, like a lot of the guys that have been through this, still "see" my dad and wish I could share things that are happening currently with him.
I wish that words would truly help, but at least know you're not alone in this type of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben N

I am so sorry Aron. I lost my Dad almost four years ago, and, sort of like what RG said, he seems to have taken up residence on my shoulder. And, yes--besides all the things you wish he could see, there are all the things you wish you could ask him, almost every day. So I'm never quite over it, but I'm in equilibrium, and his place in my life is secure. That takes time, though, and I know you must be hurting while you sort it out. Your description of him is loving and lovely, and really brought a special person out. It's not hard to see where you come from.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: aron on March 06, 2018, 12:17:37 PM
When he passed away, his family was by his side and I held him as he took his last breath. I got to tell him how much he was loved which is more that I can explain.
Maybe the greatest last moments for him..

My sincere condolences, Aron..  :icon_cry:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

sad to hear, Aron. condolences to you and your family.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

marcelomd

In a way, being surrounded by friends and family is probably the best way to go. Something to be proud of.

You just described my dad and my relationship with him. He sounded like a great guy to be around.

I'm sorry. Be strong, friend.

wavley

I am so very sorry for your loss Aron.

I'm sure he's very proud of you for the community of really great people that you created/curate and that there are so many people that even though most of us have never met you in person, we feel genuine emotion for your loss.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Paul Marossy

My condolences Aron.  :icon_cry:

I went thru this with both of parents in the last 7 years. My dad was gone just like that from a heart attack Nov 2011 and I had to move my mother here to Vegas, and empty out their house by myself. That was like four days of a personal hell, hauling up all this junk from the basement to the huge dumpster I had to rent. My dad was still working from home at 75 years old and was like an information hoarder with boxes and boxes of stuff that was basically not worth anything.

A few years after that, my mother was bed ridden for 18 months after spending 100 days in a behavioral hospital where she was locked up like she was in a maximum security prison and I couldn't even talk to her. After they got nowhere with her like I told them via email a few days into that chapter, the doctors finally said "call the son" and that allowed us to get guardianship. She ate only a few spoonfuls of food every day and somehow lived like that for much much longer than anyone ever expected she would. Hard to watch her waste away and was kinda depressing. So a few weeks before she passed away on Sept 1, 2016 I got shingles in my eye, and that caused a bunch of health problems due to complications from anti-viral meds, etc and then after all that crap I got a cataract due to the aftereffects of the shingles which had to be fixed last November. It's not fun being basically blind in one eye and it really screws with anything you want to do up close, like making DIY stuff for example.

Anyway, I hope that you will fare better than I did thru this process of parents passing away.

Mark Hammer

While not wishing to detract from the dignity or sombreness of this period, sometimes reflecting on lost parents gives moments of levity, that make one shake their head and smille at the quirks of loved ones.  Quirks that made you appreciate them for their uniqueness as people.

My late father-in-law was a bit of a hoarder, moreso after my mother-in-law passed away and there was no one to wag a finger and say "Victor, you don't need that".  He had the house to himself and used every square inch of it.  After he passed away, and we were cleaning out the house, we came upon many things that we never knew existed.  One was a wallet in his strongbox that he kept in his closet.  The wallet had one of each denomination of bills, from $1 to $100, crisp and new.  I guess he considered it his emergency fund.  But also in the wallet was a picture of Elizabeth Taylor, circa 1960, when she was a hot babe.  To this day, we don't know if the picture was in there because he had a secret thing for Liz Taylor, or because it came with the wallet (as many such items did in those days) and he simply never threw anything out!

But the best was a small opaque ointment container we stumbled on that we were initially apprehensive about touching, let alone opening.  On the lid was scrawled "old penis".  When we finally worked up the courage to give it a shake, we learned that what he thought he had written was "old pennies"; English not being his first language.  What gave us pause for thought was the fact that, well, he never threw anything out.  :icon_lol:

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 07, 2018, 01:00:09 PM
But the best was a small opaque ointment container we stumbled on that we were initially apprehensive about touching, let alone opening.  On the lid was scrawled "old penis".  When we finally worked up the courage to give it a shake, we learned that what he thought he had written was "old pennies"; English not being his first language. 

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

bamslam69

Sorry to hear of your loss, Aron. He sounds like a great guy, especially getting you into computing in the golden age!
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

armdnrdy

My father passed over 23 years ago.
Yes....the loss hurt until I stepped back and took a look at myself.
I am truly made up of a mixture of both of my parents.
I started to realize...things that I do instinctively...are the way my father did things.
I found that my father is part of me so, in a way, he is not really gone.
My thoughts go out to you in this trying time.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

jdub

A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

Hatredman

My condolences, Aron.

Your old man seems the kind of person I would want around. I was deeply touched by the fact that he was a builder - he built people, and was very good at that! You, your siblings, and all his grandchildren are explendid people and he played a big part in their formation.

You are very fortunate to have loved and been loved by someone like him.

.sig goes here.

Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.