I still loathe the effort of clear coating, but I love the effect of acetone

Started by EBK, March 13, 2018, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I attempted again to use some glossy water-based Polycrylic to finish an enclosure (a wooden one this time), and the result was a lumpy streaky mess that I thought was unsalvageable.  After much sanding, I decided to try wiping off the rest of the coating with some acetone.  To my pleasant surprise, the acetone smoothed out the Polycrylic very nicely.  It has a satin (maybe semi-gloss) finish rather than a gloss, but I'm happy with it.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

That looks fantastic!

I'm still thinking about picking up a bunch of those wooden boxes and making myself an all-wood pedalboard. Have you had any issues with noise due to a non-metal box? Have you needed to add shielding or anything like that?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

antonis

Very nice, Eric..!!

(I should advise you to leave surface as-it-is, both 'cause it's nice and to prevent the possibility of soaked non purified acetone residuals which aren't very paint/laquer friendly..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

Thanks!

To answer the shielding question, the inside of the box will be lined with copper tape.

I will leave it as is, mostly.  I might glue on a metal plate label, if I can figure out how those are made.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

> a metal plate label, if I can figure out how those are made.

Bowling-trophy shop, sign-shop. 3M and others make sensitized metal and metal-like sheets, the shop has the technology and will do one trophy-plate without you buying a whole box of stock and a mess of chemicals.

Or  https://www.google.com/search?q=metal+plate+label  --

One example: Personalized Laser Engraved Label Plate Service - 6x6 or Smaller  $29.49 & FREE Shipping
If they can do a Dalmatian, if they can do a cutaway Cobra, they can do a pedal face; but you supply the art or a simple clear layout and font-class. 1"x3" plates are cheaper; I'm not gonna hunt for in-between bargains.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

I got some amp face plates made for my Marshall 18W at a local trophy shop.   I had to cut them out of a bigger sheet (tape it so the jig saw doesn't destroy it....), but the guy only charged me like $20 for front and back.   You email them your image as a JPG, they print it...came out really nice.

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

EBK

I'm wondering if I can do a toner transfer onto a piece of aluminum flashing.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on March 14, 2018, 11:01:16 AM
I'm wondering if I can do a toner transfer onto a piece of aluminum flashing.

As I recall Mr. Deadastronaut has had some really good looking results with that technique, and I think Mr. Madbean has done several like that as well. Toner transfer like you're going to etch it then just clear coat over the top.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 14, 2018, 01:18:18 PM
... then just clear coat over the top.
:icon_eek::icon_cry: :icon_razz:

I'll make multiple copies to give myself a better chance of success, in theory.  First, I will need to design the label....
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

For the sake of completeness, here's the shielding.  I'll still need a wire connecting the lid to the main enclosure to ensure continuity.  Also, I should probably mention that I am using a copper tape that has a conductive adhesive.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

I don't know what the effect is, but are you gonna call it the Dugout?

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on March 14, 2018, 11:54:51 PM
I don't know what the effect is, but are you gonna call it the Dugout?
Theremin Fuzz (by Parasit Studio) and no.  :icon_lol:

I just happen to feel that a Theremin should be made of wood in order to be proper.    :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

bluebunny

Quote from: EBK on March 14, 2018, 10:37:39 PM
For the sake of completeness, here's the shielding.  I'll still need a wire connecting the lid to the main enclosure to ensure continuity.  Also, I should probably mention that I am using a copper tape that has a conductive adhesive.

It's a shame this will be hidden when finished.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

287m

Quote from: EBK on March 14, 2018, 10:37:39 PM

beautifull  ;)
is necessary shield the bottom?

EBK

Quote from: 287m on March 15, 2018, 05:44:45 AM
is necessary shield the bottom?
No, but I couldn't stop myself anyway (too shiny).  :icon_wink:

It can be a mojo marketing point. 
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

antonis

For a complete Faraday cage, there should also be copper "lips" on top part of the enclosure.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..