I still loathe the effort of clear coating, but I love the effect of acetone

Started by EBK, March 13, 2018, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

if I might add my 0.02 dollarpounds* - don't use plastic knobs on good looking lumps of wood.

* tariff/s may apply.
don't make me draw another line.

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on March 15, 2018, 09:43:15 AM
if I might add my 0.02 dollarpounds* - don't use plastic knobs on good looking lumps of wood.

* tariff/s may apply.
Don't worry.  I'll probably go with shiny aluminum.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

I have some knobs made out of ebony that I thought of using, but they are too dark for this enclosure, in my opinion.  I'll take a look at what other wooden knobs are available. 

Update:  Oooooh.

http://www.dknob.com/skhtm/cherry.html
$18 each though.

Another, much cheaper $8.95 ea. plus $19.99 shipping:

https://www.libertyamps.com/collections/knobs/products/cherry-hardwood-knob

If you couldn't tell, I'm searching at the moment for knobs made from cherry, with a set screw, for 1/4-inch pots.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

I think I'll keep these knobs on it. 

Now that it looks good, I just need to keep optimizing it to make it sound less like something is wrong with the circuit.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on March 18, 2018, 01:52:52 PM
I think I'll keep these knobs on it. 

Good call, looks killer!  8) So how did the copper shielding tape work out? No noise issues?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Well, I didnt try it without the shielding, so I can't make a comparison, but there is no noticeable noise with it.  It works the same as any metal enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

vigilante397

Alright, I'm officially sold. As soon as I confirm the circuit I want in there I'm picking up a couple boxes.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 19, 2018, 09:25:24 AM
Alright, I'm officially sold. As soon as I confirm the circuit I want in there I'm picking up a couple boxes.
You'll want to pick up some L11 jacks (or another long bushing jack) for these, by the way.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: antonis on March 19, 2018, 07:39:38 AM
LED on a wooden box...??????   :o >:( :icon_mad: :icon_mrgreen:
I have apparently commited a sacrilege.  Help me out here.  "It would have been much better to use ________."  :icon_confused:
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on March 19, 2018, 09:37:30 AM
You'll want to pick up some L11 jacks (or another long bushing jack) for these, by the way.

Ah, good to know. Thicker walls and whatnot. Did you have any issue with the bushing on the pots, or are standard Alpha bushings long enough to get through?
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

I didn't want to say anything, so thanks, antonis.

Quote"It would have been much better to use metal, like a chrome bezel/holder, maybe."

but it looks good.
don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

diffeq

Quote from: EBK on March 19, 2018, 09:48:01 AM
I have apparently commited a sacrilege.  Help me out here.  "It would have been much better to use ________."  :icon_confused:
A small light bulb inside fresnel lens. Or one of those nixie tube dots: https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=969

[Edit] Just checked the voltage requirements for those tubes, not exactly pedal-friendly (unless one uses voltage multiplier)

EBK

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 19, 2018, 09:50:26 AM
Quote from: EBK on March 19, 2018, 09:37:30 AM

Ah, good to know. Thicker walls and whatnot. Did you have any issue with the bushing on the pots, or are standard Alpha bushings long enough to get through?
I used standard Alpha pots.  No problems.
  • SUPPORTER

thermionix

If it's a theremin, where are the antennae?  Do the two knobs control pitch and volume?

EBK

Quote from: thermionix on March 19, 2018, 08:41:59 PM
If it's a theremin, where are the antennae?  Do the two knobs control pitch and volume?
The knobs control fuzz/theremin mix and volume.
It's not really a theremin, but rather a frequency tracking oscillator with some overshoot that makes it sound theremin-like.  Pitch is controlled by the frequency of the input.
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

Quote from: duck_arse on March 19, 2018, 09:53:00 AM
I didn't want to say anything, so thanks, antonis.
Quote"It would have been much better to use metal, like a chrome bezel/holder, maybe."
but it looks good.
Is this better, or does it look bad?

The nut is threaded onto a collar made out of heat shrink tubing.
  • SUPPORTER