Op-amp Big Muff bias question

Started by AndersonCouncil, March 14, 2018, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersonCouncil

In building this circuit I accidentally omitted R18, the 820K resistor. It makes sort of a cool gated sound without it so I thought I could put that resistor on a switch. Is there any harm being done to the IC Chip when it's out of the circuit? Is this a viable way to get that gated sound?

Here's the layout i used:

GibsonGM

Nope, switch away!  And welcome to the forum.   

R18, with R14, are applying a bias voltage to the "+" input pin of the 741.  When you lift it, you're basically rectifying your signal, clipping part of it.  Hence the gating sound.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

AndersonCouncil

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply!!

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 14, 2018, 03:12:37 PM
you're basically rectifying your signal, clipping part of it.  Hence the gating sound.
SEMI-rectifying, I woud dare to say, Sir.. :icon_redface:
(or else, you should say "hence the OCTAVE sound"..

P.S.
Just a tease from a 27oC sunny place to an unkown temp snowstorm..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

you could put some different, low values on that switch, might shift your tone around a bit. I'm just posting this, so I can add ......

QuoteP.S.
Just a tease from a 27oC sunny place to an unkown temp snowstorm..

yeah, me too. [can't remeber the UNIcode for the degrees sign, either.]
don't make me draw another line.

BetterOffShred

Unicode!  Alt+248  ;)
°-°
247°

I am about to build a op-amp BM finally so I may try this switch idea :) thanks

GibsonGM

Instead of a switch, you know...you could put a 1 Meg pot, wired as a variable resistor!  Then you could dial in your own bias setting! 

27C?  Where I live, it is often more like -27C   :)   But it is a lot of fun in summer! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM link=topic=119892.msg1120800#msVDCg1120800 date=1521142635
27C?  Where I live, it is often more like -27C   :)
<spam on>
So you don't have to spend money for power devices big cooling ribs/fins.. :icon_wink:
<spam off>

About Pot variable bias..
I made it once upon a time (but for an FET Gate bias) and worked very well as a distortion Pot alone with cascaded FET amp..
(but awfully with following phase splitter + octave modulator..) :icon_redface:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Cooling is not a problem in the US Northeast, Antonis!  No heat sink required.  :)   I have to be careful or my beer will freeze...

Now I want Anderson to replace his resistor with a pot, and make a sound sample!
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

> But it is a lot of fun in summer!

Both weeks.

> Cooling is not a problem in the US Northeast

No; but I put in A/C anyway. Lot of people on the coast do. So much that they had to bodge and finally upgrade the distribution power to the island; too much summer A/C load. So much that for a while they ran turbo-generators just for a few days each summer. It gets pretty damp. "Wet bias".
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

Best 2 weeks of the year, Paul, you know it.  If it wasn't, the black flies would stay home.  And just enough time to get the wood in for next year...

So the AC is just for humidity?  It's never hot or humid enough in the mountains to miss having it.  2 days of 90, when we go down to the river.  Other than that, the ever-present wind takes care of any overheating issues  :)   
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: GibsonGM on March 15, 2018, 03:37:15 PM
Instead of a switch, you know...you could put a 1 Meg pot, wired as a variable resistor!  Then you could dial in your own bias setting! 

27C?  Where I live, it is often more like -27C   :)   But it is a lot of fun in summer!

we are having 39 metric UNIalt+248's tomoz. also, alt+248 don't work here. control-shift-u00b0, like this °.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on March 17, 2018, 09:49:29 AM
we are having 39 metric UNIalt+248's tomoz. also, alt+248 don't work here. control-shift-u00b0, like this °.

I just use superscript "o".  Works like a charm.  It's 0o here right now with a couple inches of the white stuff, so in usual UK style, the world will freakin' stop.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on March 18, 2018, 07:53:02 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on March 17, 2018, 09:49:29 AM

I just use superscript "o".  Works like a charm.  It's 0o here right now with a couple inches of the white stuff, so in usual UK style, the world will freakin' stop.  :icon_rolleyes:
Here we just put 'F' after all our temperatures once we figure out how to type the degree symbol.   Even an abbreviated expletive helps to vent the frustration.  It's 44 :icon_frown:° :icon_mad: F :icon_smile: here right now.  See, I feel better already.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

GibsonGM

Yes, such as "It was 6F this morning, and is 18F now.  Lovely March we're having..."  :) 
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

I had 69F on the porch today.

In a plastic bottle in the sun. (The LCD thermo needs a damp-shield, that porch gets 20 minutes sun at most.)

In the shade scarcely 26F. That plus sun let the snow soften to re-freeze even harder. The 105 pound dog is walking on top.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

the temp here has plummeted today, we only had 30 of the metric degrees. brrrrr.

also - big muff, opamps, and bias.

antonis

You insist to ignore Marc's suggestion for superscript degrees symbol, despite CGS/MKSA/SI or whatever system, Stephen..!!
(it isn't very polite, don't you think..??)

duck_arse

I don't think the foreigners will understand them, antonis. watch:

°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°° °°°°°°°° °°°°°°

there, 30 degrees.

vigilante397

It's been about 40° F in the morning when I head out for work, but by the time I get home it's usually 75° F with a nice breeze 8) I'll enjoy it while I can, as in a month or two the Mojave desert will be reminding me what's what.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com