Help with amp switcher/ diy gigrig thingy!

Started by njkmonty, March 15, 2018, 07:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njkmonty

I apologise in advance for such a long question!

About 5 years ago inspired by the GigRig   and having many diy pedals I attempted to make something with the skills i had at the time.
While making a Sloclone amp I stumbled across a similar switching schematic used in Soldanos 3 Channel Switching Preamp  which used Momentary switches to selected channel.
Since I didnt have ( and still dont) pic programming skills etc I started with a layout..

after blowing many 2n7000 chips  , I got the advice of R.G  who suggested upgrading to  (STP40NF10L)   which could handle more than 3 relays!

after getting the little fabbed board to work , i found that I could add 3 more of these boards in a way which allowed 12 separate footswitches
had a gazillion effects loops  , 3 amp outputs (2 being isolated) and channel switching for the amps.

i used   the following  for the isolated outputs

this is how i wired up the effects loops.

however evreytime someone turned on the lights etc  it would make the footswitch reset  and change the effects that was being selected.
So Ive decided to go back to basics and make just a 3 switch amp switcher. The 3 channel works fine and is not effected by any external power interference.

So I was hoping for some advice about implementing relays etc ..

1) Im using 9vDC to run the purple board above
2) Im using 5vdc relays dpdt
3)Ive used a 5v regulator  for the relays with a large filter cap on the output
4) also im planning to use the above effects loop wiring.

is it ok to use the the same power supply for all this switching and the isolated amp switcher? 
what would be best way to switch the isolated outputs (when not activated?)  do i ground the tip jack to the isolated output ground?

this is getting difficult for me to articulate!!   i will try with pictures instead!!

this is where Im up too..

can

before I confuse the reader and continue  , are ther any obvious stuffups so far?  im assuming that i can add multiple relays per channel?

i was going to use 3 separate dip switch rows to select 4-10 (pending room) relays

but before i go further, I wasnt sure if someone with a good eye can see if im going about this all wrong? 

antonis

Leaving good eyes for following guys, an old eye should suggest to place a series choke (of trial-and-error value) just after regulated 9VDC..
(and raise filter cap value, if possible..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Better before 9VC splitting (main point of Vcc), in case of switch latches mistriggering..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

njkmonty

Also?   is there any other circuit that people are aware of that does pretty much the same thing but instead of only 3 momentary inputs i can get a few more?

using some other CDXXXX chip????

mth5044

Quote from: njkmonty on March 16, 2018, 04:13:36 AM
Also?   is there any other circuit that people are aware of that does pretty much the same thing but instead of only 3 momentary inputs i can get a few more?

using some other CDXXXX chip????

You could take a chance on programming a Picaxe chip to interpret the switches and plan their output. It's quite easy, this coming from someone who is a big dummy, but the investment is a bit more than buying a CDXXXX chip.

The code is very simple, basically one like saying if this pin sees voltage (from the switch being pressed) turn this other pin on, which would control your switching chip, relay, transistor switch, etc. A couple other standard lines about start up and debouncing, but not too hard to wrap your mind around!

TejfolvonDanone

...and have a marvelous day.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: TejfolvonDanone on March 16, 2018, 12:47:37 PM
Why don't you simply use 9V relays?

Good question. If you're *not* using a PIC/AVR, then the 5V power supply does seem a bit superfluous. The CMOS is all fine at 9V, so you're not doing it for the sake of the logic chips, after all.

Tom

njkmonty

I only used 5v due to having those relays on hand anyway and also because thats what it had in the schematic..