Little Booster Gimmick

Started by KarenColumbo, March 16, 2018, 04:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

Since I was treated to a lefty mexico strat for my 49th growth ring, I treated myself to RGs "PCB Layout" book and wanted to put both to practical use by cobbling together a ... hm ... I don't know what it is. But it sounds nice on breadboard and compresses the sound of the strat a bit and adds some "shine".

If driven hard it clips a bit - not too pleasant but okay. I like it anyway.

Well, here is the schematic:

As is clearly visible, it started with a Fetzer Valve, after that I just slapped some fragments to it (another JFET thing where I just put in what I had laying about on my desk) and a BJT booster for good measure and in the hope of adding some further "clouring" of the sound.

I just populated it ...

... and will solder it as soon as the first coffee's rush fades off - much too strong, this one.

If it works out, I'll post the layout :)
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

antonis

I can't see any BJT "booster" other than an Emitter follower (Current booster, if that's what you mean..  :icon_wink:)  which, IMHO, shouldn't work with 10mA quiescent current..

IMHO, you use quite low value resistors for transistors - you could easily double FETs Drain/Source resistors values and make R11 value 8 to 10 times higher..

You also could raise R5 (or C2) value to lower 160Hz cut-off point between Q1 & Q2..
(unless, of course, that's your desired -3db point..) :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

287m

duh jfet.
duck_arse must be laugh on me.  :icon_evil:

question  :icon_mrgreen:
what expected voltase in both Drain?