3dpdt LED wiring issues !!! HELP NEEDED!!!

Started by Lalope, March 18, 2018, 04:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalope

Quote from: GGBB on March 20, 2018, 08:06:31 PM

I don't understand the second sentence. Do you mean that it works fine with cables connected to the out and tuner jacks but not connected to any pedal at the other end?
>> Yes, that is what I mean....

In that case, you probably have a reversal of polarity somewhere. Connecting a pedal will connect the ground of that pedal and its power supply to your pedal and its power supply ground. If that is actually power, then power is shunted directly to ground and of course no current will flow to the LED. This could melt something - don't do it. Without power connected, connect your distortion pedal to the out jack or tuner jack, then use your meter to check for continuity between the ground of the distortion pedal (jack sleeve) and the +9V terminal on the PCB, then the GND terminal on the PCB. If you have continuity at +9V then you've wired something wrong. If not and you have continuity at GND, it's probably the DC jack or possibly the power adapter (not sure if you have one adapter split to supply all pedals or separate adapters).

It could also be a faulty switch or solder, so check that each lug in the middle row connects to the corresponding lug on the top row in one switch positioin and the bottom row in the other switch position - never both (or none).

I will do the checking you listed above and let you know what I will find...
Regards

Fyi here is the power supply I use :
https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_powerplant.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsf3Uvqz92QIVBPEbCh1GaA6YEAQYASABEgJHGvD_BwE

antonis

I'm sure your problem consists of our inability to trace your switch PCB connections
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Lalope

OK, I will do a scheme to explain the PCB connections....

Lalope

Here is the scheme,I hope it will help to find my mistake :

the PCB down face:

GGBB

It may only be your drawing that is wrong but you show the DC jack pin connected to +9v and the barrel connected to ground. This is backwards. Center pin is ground and barrel is +9v.
  • SUPPORTER

Lalope

Quote from: GGBB on March 21, 2018, 03:39:02 PM
It may only be your drawing that is wrong but you show the DC jack pin connected to +9v and the barrel connected to ground. This is backwards. Center pin is ground and barrel is +9v.

Yes you're rigth the drawing is wrong, the pin is actually connected to ground....

The test of the center row pin and corresponding connections on PCB is ok
I did the test of continuity with the disto pedal (power suplied) connected to the output and .... there is continuity between ground of the disto pedal and the +9V connection on PCB  :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:....
I am going to check the soldering as it seem that the wiring is good cf. scheme with the DC wires error... ? what else can I check ? do you need more photographs ?
Regards

GGBB

A large clear photo of the wiring removed from the enclosure and clearly showing all wire connections and paths would be very useful. But you can start using your meter to check for things that shouldn't be connected as well as things that should be connected.
  • SUPPORTER

Lalope

GGBB

I can't see anything wrong - but my eyesight is poor and those images are small. Anybody else see anything?

My suspicion is that you have a solder bridge (short) somewhere between +9V and BI (and it might be very tiny). Those pads are close together and it would be an easy mistake to make. This is the only way that I can see power getting to ground. With nothing connected to any jacks and for both switch positions, use your meter to check continuity between +9V and BI, +9V and JO, and +9V and GND. You should temporarily use a jumper in place of the LED for this test because we need to simulate current flow through that path as a possible problem, but leaving that out for the same measurements might also reveal something useful.

EDIT: In addition to checking continuity, when there is no continuity, measure resistance - it should be infinite - if it isn't, that could be a problem depending on where and what value.
  • SUPPORTER

Lalope

I am considering changing the switch with on board PCB with a switch without PCB and use classic wires to do my true bypass wiring....

antonis

Try classic wiring on your current switch, without IN-OUT grounding for ease, to see if it works..
(if yes, then add extra wiring for IN-OUT grounding, if you desire to..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Lalope

Well, at last I changed the 3pdt wiring for a more simple without pcb :

but the same issue appeared....the LED was always on when I connected the pedal to another one ....
I did the same test with the entire wiring outside the enclosure and.... magic, it works perfectly.... so I assume there is a ground issue between the signal wiring and the LED wiring ...probably caused by the contact of the 3dpt switch with the enclosure....(confirmed as the contact of the switch with the enclosure causes the issue...)
I am considering isolating it from the enclosure with a plastic washer an thermoretractable sheath ? any comments ? thanks

Lalope

I dont know if it is a normal issue but I tried my hack and it works....

Slowpoke101

OK. Well done on getting it to go.
I've seen many different failures with switches but I've never seen a stomp switch fail as you have described.
Isolating the switch body from the grounded enclosure solved the problem? Yikes!
I do suggest getting a new switch anyway as there is supposed to be no electrical connection from the switching elements to the actuator whatsoever.
If you do have a new switch to try and it does the same thing, get another switch from a different supplier and let the original supplier know that they may have a problem. Just imagine what would happen if someone used one to switch AC mains or similar high voltage - The switch could kill on contact if the switch body was not grounded.

• SUPPORTER