Tonepad Comparous Ross Compressor

Started by Big mike 1100, March 18, 2018, 09:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big mike 1100

I'm working on a Tonepad Ross compressor.  I built one with no problem, but I built this one and thought I had working but when I boxed it up it decided not to work.  I might have moved something, but not sure.  When I do an audio probe, the sound seems to stop at pin 6 and  Pin 7 on the IC, but it went all the way through at one point. 

Here are the Voltages:
IC
1 0
2 4.92
3 4.92
4 0
5 50mv
6 2.8
7 9.37
8 0

Q1
E 1.72
B 2.1
C 7.65

Q2
E 2
B 3
C 5

Q3
E 0
B 0
C 9

Q4
E .6
B 0
C 9

Q5
E 8.89
B 9.37
C 9.37
  • SUPPORTER

Slowpoke101

Ahh, another build problem. Fun aren't they....
At least it was working before being placed in a box which usually means something has shorted out or a wire has broken.
You just know that I'm going to ask....Any chance of some pictures?
  • SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

• SUPPORTER

Slowpoke101

Check the circuit starting at pin 5 of the IC. It goes through a 27K resistor and then to the sustain pot. There is a problem in this area.
Pin 5 is at 50mV but the emitter of Q5 is near 9V. They should be almost the same.
If the sustain pot is faulty or its connecting wires have broken (including the PCB tracks going to the board connection points), you will get this problem.
With pin 5 at such a low voltage, the IC thinks that it is not to pass a signal.
Notice that the Tonepad circuit board is single sided and that the component holes are not plated through. It is easier to damage the solder pads than with the Aion boards (which are double sided plated through) - and you've had fun with that problem before. So check for possible track to pad fractures at the board connection points.
Let us know what you find.
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

You can see here. Some working units voltages.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112107.msg1033462#msg1033462

I suspect you have a short on Q5.

Pin 5 looks ballpark to me......
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Slowpoke101

Kipper4 may be on to something here. Your Q5 voltages do suggest a short between collector and base.
Idiot here forgot about the volt drop across the 27K resistor which means the pin 5 of the IC will be lower (much) lower than the emitter of Q5. Pin 5 should be between 0.5 to 0.7 volts.
Still check the pin 5, Q5, sustain pot circuit and connections. This is the most likely area.

• SUPPORTER

Big mike 1100

Problem solved!  I checked and re-soldered everything you both mentioned around pin5/Q5 and also replaced the sustain pot, just because I had an extra one lying around.  I noticed that one of the "rivet holes" on the sustain pot, next to the lug hole had solder in it.  Maybe it was making an unnecessary connections as well? 

Thanks again to the good folks at DIY Stompboxes!
  • SUPPORTER