Help Identify a Diode?

Started by Superkid, March 20, 2018, 10:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superkid

Hi. This is my first post! As of right now I have only built one pedal, it is a Bazz Fuss based fuzz with a boost in front. The gain of the actual fuzz circuit is hard wired and the amount of boost controls the gain of the pedal. But, this is not important. :icon_wink: If you aren't familiar with the bazz fuss, it is a VERY simple circuit based around a transitor and a diode. These parts affect the sound of the pedal very much, to the point that I've added a switch to select various different diodes. By far the best sounding diode is this rather large ceramic type. I'd like to build another pedal like this without the switch, and Id like to track down some more of these diodes to do it, but I can't seem to identify what it is! The only numbers on it are K200. I'm really hoping sombody will be able to help me track down exactly what this is, because it really does sound very good!

smallbearelec

One of my cross-references makes it to be a silicon power diode, 600 volts. A 1N4007
http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/diode-1n4007/

is similar and cheap. It will definitely work, though might not sound the same, because these parts are manufactured for use in power supplies, not for audio clipping.

PRR

That is an enormous diode.

I have never seen one quite like it.

No shock. There have been hundreds of transistor factories but must be *thousands* of factories over the decades that made diodes. It is a much simpler job, yet still "sexy semiconductor" so funding was available.

I'd try the Bear's suggestion, sure. Big-Si may be the main thing.

It may be so much bigger than a '4007 that it sounds different. For "different" try the C-B junction of a TIP42 (a 10 Amp part).

And it could be that only THAT diode has magic sound, because somebody sneezed in the pot when it was made and no other diode ever made does the exact same thing in this off-data application.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteIt may be so much bigger than a '4007 that it sounds different. For "different" try the C-B junction of a TIP42 (a 10 Amp part).

The CB junctions have harder knees than Silicon diodes.  Nothing wrong with trying it though.

Superkid is actually looking for something specific.  The circuit in the photo has about 12 different diodes he's been trying.    Not sure about the current because some of the old diodes were pretty big even at 1A to 2A.

Maybe worth trying something easier to get,
- 1N4004 1A 400V
- 1N4007 1A 1000V
- 1N5404  3A  400V
- 1N5408 3A 1000V

Sometimes the HV diodes are different.   
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

digi2t

Have you tried measuring the forward voltage?

I'm getting thyristor diode for igniters btw. Did you rip that out of a BBQ igniter by any chance?
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Rob Strand

QuoteI'm getting thyristor diode for igniters btw. Did you rip that out of a BBQ igniter by any chance?

You need one big enough that you can fine tune the sound with a file. ;D

According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Rob Strand

This might be a lead,
http://www.voltagemultipliers.com/pdf/K25UF_K50UF_K100UF.pdf

Notice the very high forward diode drop.

Extrapolating the data the K200 would have a lower capacitance.

A HV diode might explain the size and the thin leads.

thermionix

Quote from: Rob Strand on March 22, 2018, 06:21:53 PM

And a Vf greater than 14V?  Would that do anything at all in a bazz fuss?  Maybe OP is digging the no-diode sound.

Rob Strand

QuoteAnd a Vf greater than 14V?  Would that do anything at all in a bazz fuss?  Maybe OP is digging the no-diode sound
I'm not convinced it is actually the same part.

14V is at a high current.  The leakage looks pretty high so it might very well do something at low currents.

iainpunk

Quote from: thermionix on March 23, 2018, 03:02:40 AM
Quote from: Rob Strand on March 22, 2018, 06:21:53 PM

And a Vf greater than 14V?  Would that do anything at all in a bazz fuss?  Maybe OP is digging the no-diode sound.

Bazz fuss is kill without diode. OP might want to fudge around with some diodes in series.....
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on March 23, 2018, 08:13:28 AM
Bazz fuss is kill without diode.
Unless we deal with a veryyyy leaky transistor.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..