Elegant solution to Fuzz into Delay (buffer) issue...AB with Cable Simulation?

Started by Joncaster, March 21, 2018, 06:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joncaster

Ok, so we know that Fuzz doesn't like to see a buffer anywhere near it...

Delay (true bypass), when engaged, makes the fuzz brighter cause there's little/no cable capacitance between them.
This can be resolved by putting the delay right at the input of the amp (sounds good on testing), and have the long cable between the fuzz and delay (but obviously doesn't work in a live situation)

So I was thinking:
AB Effects Loop switcher, with variable capacitance on the output of the B loop.
When in A mode, Fuzz goes straight to amp or Boost pedal that loves a short run between them.
When in B mode, Fuzz goes to the delay, through a small passive LPF, made variable by a Pot, or just a fixed cap to ground to mimmick a long cable.

The only issue I see is that now the B loop has TWICE the amount of cable capacitance in total...but I figure the output of the delay is buffered as well, so that would negate that being a problem?
Haven't had a chance to test fully, had a flooding incident in the kitchen to deal with :(

Anyone have a similar solution that works for them?
I've searched around and most of the AB Loopers are pure TB.
Added benefit is that you can use the B Loop as a "tone pot rolled off" effect line too, if that's your bag (it is mine, I use my tone control a LOT)

I do realise this has probably been covered many times over, but really couldn't find a clear answer on the matter.

Thanks

Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

antonis

Place a 30-40 pF shunt cap for each meter of cable difference and you'll be OK.. :icon_wink:
           (edited)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Joncaster

Quote from: antonis on March 21, 2018, 06:34:52 AM
Place a 3-4 pF shunt cap for each meter of cable difference and you'll be OK.. :icon_wink:

Wow, i was expecting to use closer to 2nf worth for a 10m run. Impedence is a crazy world.
Thanks

My Band:

antonis

Quote from: Joncaster on March 21, 2018, 07:35:04 AM
Wow, i was expecting to use closer to 2nf worth for a 10m run.
Do you use something like water-pipe for guitar cable...??  :icon_lol:

edit: Oupss (missed zeros alarm..)  :icon_redface:

I was meaning 30-40pF/m..!!
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Joncaster

Quote from: antonis on March 21, 2018, 08:12:40 AM
Quote from: Joncaster on March 21, 2018, 07:35:04 AM
Wow, i was expecting to use closer to 2nf worth for a 10m run.
Do you use something like water-pipe for guitar cable...??  :icon_lol:

edit: Oupss (missed zeros alarm..)  :icon_redface:

I was meaning 30-40pF/m..!!

Haha, yeah 10m cables are a bit excessive. I've been testing with whatever I had in my cable bag (Mogami balanced trs jacks and Shultz)but will make some custom lengths from some Sommer Tricone we have at the store.
Really like the feel of that cable. But the usual 6m cables can be a bit short for some stages, so an 8m and 5m will do nicely.

My Band:

antonis

Some times it's better to shorten stage than lengthen cables.. :icon_wink:
(young and old lead-guitar players are "annoyed" of stage dimensions but for entirely opposite reasons..)

PRR

I have always used 30pFd per *foot*. If you don't use feet, that's near 100pFd per Meter.

You can get 20pFd/foot, and 50pFd per foot (60-150pFd/m) but these are usually odd cables. (Car AM antenna cable used to be hair-wire inside a large tube and <20pFd/ft, but very awkward and not robust.)
  • SUPPORTER

Mr.Kite

Mogami Gold (2524) is 130pf\mt, it's a good reference...

OR...you can replace that stupid 500k volume pot with a 50k and increase the output cap to 0.1uF (if you're talking about a FF circuit, as I presume): same volume and tone as before, but much LESS "sensitivity" to whatever comes AFTER it... ;)

Joncaster

Quote from: Mr.Kite on March 22, 2018, 12:15:55 AM
Mogami Gold (2524) is 130pf\mt, it's a good reference...

OR...you can replace that stupid 500k volume pot with a 50k and increase the output cap to 0.1uF (if you're talking about a FF circuit, as I presume): same volume and tone as before, but much LESS "sensitivity" to whatever comes AFTER it... ;)

I tried the lower value output R with bigger cap (and a few other variations) on the breadboard, but couldn't get the high end right (caps to ground on the output to shave off a bit sounded weird to me for some reason)...eventually gave up and used brute force resistance. I can revisit that strategy in a future build though!

My Band: