what's my issue

Started by Kipper4, March 21, 2018, 11:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slashandburn

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 21, 2018, 05:48:32 PM
Guitar volume at zero?

T.

Hope nobody is laughing at that.  Not so long ago I spent 2 days debugging a pedal that wouldn't even fire up in bypass. After loads of going back in circles I realised NONE of my pedals worked, neither did running direct to amp.  After laughing at my own stupidity I blamed the lead and dug out a spare. Still no dice. Gave up, started drinking, had an idea for a riff, plugged in a different guitar. Everything worked. Everything.

It was the bloody jack wiring on my Telecaster. Some dumb bast*rd (probably me) must've spun the socket around a few times trying to tighten it without following the correct procedure (and/or no locking washer). Ripped the tip right off the lug.

TWO DAYS! :-[

I did learn one valuable lesson, at least. Alcohol clearly solves everything.   If only I'd started drinking at noon on day 1.   ;)

EBK

Quote from: Joncaster on March 23, 2018, 05:17:16 AM
I find my breadboard likes to be looked at in a loving way sometimes...makes it feel appreciated, and will then start working again.
In a similar vein, I've found that if I don't physically lift (as opposed to emotionally lift) my breadboards every now and then, they like to bury themselves in any nearby pile of junk to stay warm.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

highwater

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 21, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
A cat?

Do you mean a *bat*?

---

Anyway, my guess is "two guitars nearby, played the wrong one"... because all the more reasonable mistakes I've made myself have already been covered.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

Joncaster

Quote from: highwater on March 23, 2018, 07:52:05 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 21, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
A cat?

Do you mean a *bat*?

---

Anyway, my guess is "two guitars nearby, played the wrong one"... because all the more reasonable mistakes I've made myself have already been covered.

In the case of fiddling with a Si transistor with a 250MHz Ft...that could definitely be the cause.
The main reason I chose power transistors in a Fuzz was to placate my girlfriend in the downstairs lounge. :icon_rolleyes:
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

Kipper4

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

You Guessed right Electric Druid.

The most basic dumb ass thing to do, forget to turn the guitar volume up.

So now you know what your up against.
By return of post I'll get those sent off to you.

Thanks for joining in the fun guys.

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Aph

You need a guitar where the pickups are wired directly... no knobs.
I'd hate to see you with one of these:

Kipper4

I don't think my Ickle  brain could cope with that Jody. :)
It can't cope with one volume........ tee hee.

Grey Paper.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 23, 2018, 08:09:35 AM

Thank you, thank you...I really can't believe it...</gush>...I'd just like to say how this isn't just my award, but it really belongs to us all. I couldn't have done it without the support of everyone here, especially my parents, my manager, and that guy who brings the pizzas every other night. I'd also like to mention how much I respect the other people here who's blatant shot-in-the-dark guesses weren't as right as my own blatant shot-in-the-dark guess. Mark; your cat is forever in our hearts. EBK; may your power supply be forever plugged in. Aph; may your cheap Chinese breadboards always resist corrosion and stray capacitance. And finally, I'd like to thank all the other people that enabled us all to make such basic errors *far* more than statistically probable - you know who you are.
Thank you everyone.

T.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Kipper4 on March 23, 2018, 08:09:35 AM

The most basic dumb ass thing to do, forget to turn the guitar volume up.

So now you know what your up against.
By return of post I'll get those sent off to you.

Thanks for joining in the fun guys.
Been there.  Done that.  Bought the T-shirt.  Worn it out.  Used it to wash the car.

ElectricDruid

My magic mojo diodes arrived in yesterday's post, so they've now completed a trip from Australia to the UK to Portugal. These are some well-travelled diodes. The poor little things don't usually get out much, but these ones have seen the world. I shall have to give them a nice home. Maybe something Oz-flavoured so they don't get homesick?

Thanks to Kipper for organising that.

T.

Kipper4

It was a pleasure and a blast.

Grey Paper.

mac

QuoteMaybe something Oz-flavoured so they don't get homesick?

A few gigs in the Algarve and they'll be fine :)

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

R O Tiree

Hands up all those who have been working on a circuit in its enclosure, probing test points, perfectly happy with the circuit... then put the base plate on, turn the pedal the right way up and then plug the leads in exactly the same way.  Pedal doesn't work any more... Cue much swearing, worry, take the leads out, turn it over, unscrew the base plate, plug the leads back in... it's perfect again.

That one kept me amused for an hour or so.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

bluebunny

<hands half-up>  I took some of my pedals round to a mate's to do some recording.  So he's stood on the business side of the line of pedals and I'm sat on the floor "round the back" connecting it all up: guitar in at the right, out from the far left to the amp.  Took me bloody forever to work out why nothing worked...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...