Boss CE-2 output not grounded ?

Started by Megaman9, March 23, 2018, 09:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megaman9

Hi guys

I hope it's ok get some pointers about repairing a pedal here.

Just got a used MIJ Boss CE-2 and I think it has a grounding issue.
I opened it up and the output jack has just one wire connected to it, and it looks like someone messed with it as well :

Looks like there was another wire connected but I am not sure to where, any help would be appreciate

Thanks

nickbungus

What is the actual fault with the pedal?

I would check continuity to ground from the jack.  It probably is grounded as the enclosure is grounded and the jacks ground is connected to that. 

I dont think I've said that as well as I could but I hope that makes sense! :icon_biggrin:
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Megaman9

Thanks for the reply.

I did the continuity test and it appears to be grounded. Apologies for being a complete noob here

The pedal has a huge ground hum when only the output is connected, which is not something I am used to in other pedals.
The input jack was noisy as well but I think some cleaning and tightening did the trick

antonis

Nick tells you to check continuity between Input jack ground and Output jack "supossed" GND lug..  :icon_wink:

And, of course, Wellcome..

edit: Slow enough..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

Quote from: Megaman9 on March 23, 2018, 10:19:11 AM
The pedal has a huge ground hum when only the output is connected
If it had hum with output DISconnected it should be time for exorcism...  :icon_eek:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

thermionix

That jack has been broken, taped back together, and poorly soldered.  I don't know if that's your only problem, but I would replace it for sure.

http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/1-4-in-mono-enclosed-switchcraft-111x/

Megaman9

nickbungus

Yes that Jack will work although you may be overwhelmed by all the pins available when you are only interested in the signal pin (which will be the tip).

If you have a multimeter, set it to Continuity Mode and insert a mono instrument/guitar lead into the jack socket.  Put one end of the multimeter onto the exposed leads tip and then go through each pin on the socket until you get continuity.  That will be your signal pin.

You could do the same to find the ground pin using the exposed leads sleeve.

QuoteIs it supposed to be soldered with two wires ?

If you have a ground wire available then yes, its probably worth connecting and explicitly grounding but you see this quite often where one of the jacks doesnt have an explcit ground connection.  This is because one jack will be (directly/visibly) connected to ground.  This jack is connected to the enclosure and then the 'unconnected' jack is, in turn, also connected.  Think of the enclosure as acting as a connecting wire.

I am terrible at explaining this but hopefully that makes sense. 

To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.