Transistor testers?

Started by Gumby212, March 24, 2018, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby212

Looking for a good transister tester, but not sure what to look for. Any yips onwhat to look for or suggestions on a descent one? Thanks!

Phoenix

It's worth having two different ones - an in-circuit type for BJT's - these are easy to DIY with just a 555 timer and a few other parts, and a cheap "component tester" which are available in many varieties on eBay and the like for about $10, and do a great job of testing resistors, capacitors, inductors, BJT's, JFET's, MOSFET's, and even basic IC's.
Then there are the more expensive options like the PEAK brand range of testers like the Atlas, which are a huge step-up in quality, but with a commensurate increase in price.

Rob Strand

There's a few differences in what they do:
- go no/go
- accurate hfe measurement
- part identification (and usually hfe measurement)

Probably not a lot will do leakage.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

MaxPower

I'd go with one that tests unknown transistors. One in which any lead can go in any socket and it'll tell you if it's npn or pnp, which lead is the base, emitter, and collector. And the hfe of course.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Marcos - Munky

diy-tubes

http://diy-tubes.com - parts for guitar/studio gear

Rob Strand

You can also test transistors by hand using a diode tester.  Plenty of posts on this forum about that.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mr.Kite

I like my Peak Atlas DCA55... :icon_cool: