Need help with Aphex Aural Exciter type B Schematic

Started by ljudsystem, March 28, 2018, 04:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljudsystem

Found this at Experimentalists anonymous and I really wan't to breadboard it but there's a page missing. Anybody seen this before? It doesn't say anything about the power supply so I guess that's on page two?

So I need a +- supply voltage , right? How big would it have to be? I guess I need more than +- 4.5V...

Rob Strand

It's something like this:

The filter pot is a reverse log taper.

From what I can work out, the input stage on the original is set-up for line input.

QuoteIt doesn't say anything about the power supply so I guess that's on page two?
I'm not sure.  The second sheet is marked "Display" .  The part of the schematic missing is only a clip detector with two LEDs. One for + and one for - clipping.  The power supply isn't marked.  The other models seem to use +/-15V.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Mark Hammer

Rob Strand

QuoteThis should help.

On the right hand side you can see a dot near the 1k which is probably where the "page 2" part of the circuit connected.  [Actually that's a test point.  The other side of the 1k is the part that goes to "page 2" you can see a cut-off wire at the output of the opamp.]

That one shows the original input scheme.
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ljudsystem

:D Thanks guys, this is awesome.

So... for +-15 v I need 30v and a voltage divider network, right?

StephenGiles

Page 2 possibly had the power supply. I have an original service manual somewhere from the days of writing letters for circuits and I actually visited the UK agents for Aphex back in the 1980s. After spinning them a yarn, they gave me the service manual!!

I'll have a search over the Easter break.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Rob Strand

QuoteSo... for +-15 v I need 30v and a voltage divider network, right?
It is pretty normal for things that aren't pedals to run from separate -15V / 0V / +15V supply.  Like a preamp power supply from guitar amplifier.

For example, something like this,  (I can't vouch for the actual circuit.)
https://i0.wp.com/powersupply33.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/15V-1A-Symmetrical-Power-Supply-Circuit-Schematic.jpg

You should be able to convert it to 30V and a Vref (+15V) but you might need to be careful about what goes to 0V and what goes to Vref.

StephenGiles

But it will work using 2 9v batteries, but not as long as a fuzz box.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

StephenGiles

I found various old scans that might be useful - first of all a clean circuit with no part values:

StephenGiles

Next is the circuit + part values:

Parts list:

StephenGiles

StephenGiles

Rob Strand

QuoteBut it will work using 2 9v batteries, but not as long as a fuzz box.
Should work.  Maybe tweak R128.

Quotehttp://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2014/01/bipolar-voltage-converter.html
how about this instead?
There's many options  but they aren't all *exactly* the same.

Another option is to target a +9V/0V/-9V set-up:
+9V battery --->  +V supply
0V battery    ---> 0V  supply
+9V battery ---> LT1054 negative rail --->  -9V

If you use good caps and large values on the input and output it should operate OK.

Rob Strand

QuoteThis should help.

Mark, FYI, R123 should be 51k on your schematic.

StephenGiles

You don't want to overload this unit, because it will sound awful!

ljudsystem

Thanks for all the info guys.

Think I'm gonna try the two 9V battery trick first and see if I can get it to work.