Davies 1910 knobs

Started by TEPR, March 29, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEPR

Hope this is an OK question.

Has anyone used Davies 1910 model knobs for their project? I haven't seen any pics of them in use on DIY or retail products. I'm wondering how they look.
The Small size are the ones I'm interested in.

Any tips or pics appreciated!

mth5044

Unless you're very good at stick shaking, there are more 1910 models than you can shake a stick at. Do you know the model number of the one your interested in? Do you want set screw or knurled?

http://www.daviesmolding.com/Catalog/Series/Knobs/Control.aspx?SeriesID=1910

TEPR

yes, thats part of the problem and why I'm hesitant to blindly order 'em.

I'd use typical stompbox specs - 1/4" solid shaft, set screw, brass bushing (if available), smaller size.

I'm just wondering about the aesthetics really.

thanks!

Joncaster

Quote from: TEPR on March 29, 2018, 09:00:30 PM
yes, thats part of the problem and why I'm hesitant to blindly order 'em.

I'd use typical stompbox specs - 1/4" solid shaft, set screw, brass bushing (if available), smaller size.

I'm just wondering about the aesthetics really.

thanks!

I find that knobs are really hard to buy online.
My first order was all wrong, had chamfered shaft pots and knurled knobs, they were too big too small too cheap too ugly.
They also add to the cost of the order pretty quickly.
So I'm sticking to 6mm knurled shaft, 20mm long. Knobs not taller than 16mm.
Chamfered shaft only if it's a really nice knob.

FWIW I like those knobs you linked in the Bold version.
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

ElectricDruid

I bought a few of the large and small sized Bold knobs to have a look at recently. I recognise that image - thonk.co.uk, one of the only places I've ever seen those knobs.

The knobs are very nice quality as you'd expect...you pay for it, after all.

The skirt on the small ones is about the same size as a small boss-style knob, but the top grippy parts is narrower, so you get more "finger room" if the knobs are close together. The larger knob is about the same height as the Davies 1900, and the styles are close, so you could use those together if necessary.

My only complaint is that the white marker line tends to get hidden behind the main body of the knob unless you're looking straight down on them. Looking from 6 o'clock, you can't see the mark. This is different to the tall narrow Davies 1900 knob that you see a lot, since it has the marker line on the top of the knob where it's more visible.

All in all, they're top quality and I like the vintage look of them. I'll put them on something for sure.

HTH,
Tom

davent

Fine small, i think, have a different knob now for the trio that aren't Davies, look better, all from Mouser.

Over a year ago and haven't got back to pedal building since then.

Have a bunch more of the fine small i may use on an amp build that's so near completion but hasn't been touched in over a year.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

thermionix

What "looks good" is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but for me it varies greatly with enclosure size, control layout etc.  I think all those Davies knobs could look good in the right circumstance.

TEPR

The 1910 looks a bit large in Dave's pic but I still like the overall aesthetic. I see the issue with the indicator line Electric Druid noted.

Guess I will have to throw some 1910s in the next Mouser order. I will post a pic when I use em.

thanks all!

thermionix

davent

Quote from: thermionix on March 30, 2018, 04:26:18 PM
Quote from: davent on March 30, 2018, 12:55:07 PM
dave

What's in the Birchwood Casey bottle?

Super Blue, gun metal bluing. I use it on hardware that it's not safe to torch or when not feeling like using the torch. Screws, jacks, switch threads, cap of the stomp switch, stomp nuts, even Alpha's melt. Switchcraft and Neutirk nuts and washers are the real deal, torch away.

Quote from: TEPR on March 30, 2018, 04:17:54 PM
The 1910 looks a bit large in Dave's pic but I still like the overall aesthetic. I see the issue with the indicator line Electric Druid noted.

Guess I will have to throw some 1910s in the next Mouser order. I will post a pic when I use em.

thanks all!

Don't use that picture for true size, picture it was taken with a wide angle lens close to the knob so it's a distorted representation. I'll try to get a picture up later without the distortion.

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

davent

Hammond 1590b and the various Davies kicking around for size comparisons. The small ones are Eagle Plastics, everything from Mouser except that one bog standard Davies i don't remember the number of.

dave

TEPR

Wow much appreciated!

That helps a ton.

Those Eagles have a similar retro aesthetic that I like also.

Quote from: davent on March 30, 2018, 08:06:14 PM
Hammond 1590b and the various Davies kicking around for size comparisons. The small ones are Eagle Plastics, everything from Mouser except that one bog standard Davies i don't remember the number of.

dave

Joncaster

Quote from: davent on March 30, 2018, 08:06:14 PM

dave

I like the top one.
In the pics first posted i liked the Bold, but on the box I like the Fine...
I think i'm more of a 'speed knob' kind of guy rather than 'top hat'.
I Like those ones with pointers too, like the Klon uses, but you see them used quite a bit.

Also, what camera are you using? Makes those knobs look amazing.

Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com