5 Knob engineers thumb distortion

Started by replaceablehead, April 01, 2018, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

replaceablehead

Before I go debugging the whole build, I thought I should ask, on a 5 knob engineers thumb should I expect it to start distorting with the threshold and release passed noon? This is with the ratio at least noon too and the effect becomes extremely distoted in the last little bit of the release.

At first I thought there was definitely something wrong and then I heard whispers that if the release went below 150k it starts to distort. I found vague references to this scattered around the forums, but no one eleborated or discribed the level of distortion.

So should I expect this with more extreme settings on the 5 knob version? Thoughts?  :D

replaceablehead

I just finished boxing it up and I realised I was looking at a mirror image  :icon_redface:. Sure enough it's the level control that pushing things into a gentle over drive, and then by pushing the attack and release as short as possible the overdrive turns into distortion. It seems a lot more normal now any thoughts though? Anyone have a five knob?

rankot

I do have 5-knob and it behave the same - when threshold is past noon, starts to distort. But I'm not sure how did I wire that pot, I must check.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!