Literature about "Bypass Capacitors" - FET and BJT

Started by KarenColumbo, April 03, 2018, 08:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarenColumbo

I'd like to have a good read concerning bypass capacitors - JFET source and BJT emitters. There's a lot of different variations - parallel to resistors, with a resistance in series etc. Haven't found a conclusive explanations with some "tricks and hints".

Could you gentlemen point me in the right direction?
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

KarenColumbo

If I don't look too closely, there's some variations that look like presence knob circuitry. But not where presence circuitry is known to exist.
  • SUPPORTER
I see something of myself in everyone / Just at this moment of the world / As snow gathers like bolts of lace / Waltzing on a ballroom girl" - Joni Mitchell - "Hejira"

antonis

I'm not able to draw schematic for the moment, Andreas, but there are some simple principles for your query..

1. Total Emitter (Source) bypass: Cap is completely shunting Emitter (Source) resistor..
    Advandage:    Maximun gain (RC/re - AC grounded Emitter..) or (gm X  RD - AC grounded Source)
    Shortcomings: BJTs Low Input Impedance (hFE X re) / FETs don't mind - Zero AC feedback

2a. Partial Emitter (Source) bypass: Cap in series with resistor shunting Emitter (Source) resistor..
     Advandages: "Some" AC feedback - BJTs Higher Input Impedance / FETS also don't mind..
     Shortcoming: Lower gain (Series resistor added on Emitter intrinsic resistor / FET 1/gm for gain calculation..)

2b. Partial Emitter (Source) bypass: Cap shunting the higher value of the (two) Emitter (Source) splitted resistors..
     (e.g. a 1k Emitter resistor is splitted in 820R & 180R resistors in series & cap is set in series with 180R shunting 820R..)
     Considered equivalent with 2a..

Value of bypass cap should be calculated high enough so its impedance be considered negligible (less than 10%, say) of respective bypassed resistor value for the lower frequency of interest..
(if not, its impedance should be considered in parallel with bypassed resistor for actual AC Emitter (Source) resistance calculation..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

iainpunk

Eyyy

For BJT's i recommend big capacitance (1uf or moer) coulpled from ground to a trim pot's middle leg. The trim pot being the emitter resistance. Anust the trim pot to taste.

For a JFET i personally use a set of diodes and/or led's, this seems to give a very even frequency response and a good, high gain. I also use this with most valves, especially in my "modded to within an inch of its life" valvecaster, since triodes are just fancy, magical, better JFET's.  :icon_razz:

Ill try to find some literature about this specific topic in one of my school books and post pic's if i can find this
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Rob Strand

The different forms can be made to perform the same, so to some degree the choice is arbitrary.
This holds for any circuit:  emitter circuits, source circuits and treble boost and pre-emphasis/de-emphasis networks.

Updated:

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

KarenColumbo

Thank you gentlemen, it's becoming a bit clearer now.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Pending schematic post:
(sorry for the quality - exported from Tina-TI in low resolution form..) :icon_redface:

P.S.
About literature, you can search for something like "Transistor CE Amp with Emitter degeneration" or so..  :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

KarenColumbo

Wow, thanks for the schematics. Will be fun to try out (in a Spitfire V3, by the way).
  • SUPPORTER

mac

IMHO, the main difference between fig 3 and 5 is how fast you go from min to max gain (if Rd were a pot).

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Rob Strand

QuoteAbout literature, you can search for something like "Transistor CE Amp with Emitter degeneration" or so

Good stuff.  It's nice to have all the info in one place like that.

When I post stuff I often try to post web links to examples.  I can't tell you how many hours I've burned-up trying to find "common" configurations  because a large percentage of the info out there is incomplete, wrong or too academic.

[Damn, I noticed my pic had some bugs.  Now fixed.]
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

antonis