beginer question battery clip

Started by cabphoto, April 06, 2018, 12:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabphoto

Ok-

I can't figure out how to attach this battery clip in the best way, not just taping it or gluing it.  It has 2 holes in it I assume are for some way to attach it.  I would't think those holes are for screws in a enclosure.  Seems like screws would be a lot of trouble for a small thing.  Im thinking there must be a product available I am missing as a newbie.  Along with a lot of other stuff.  :icon_smile:Thank you in advance for your help

italianguy63

My .02..    (what I do).

I drill the holes out to 1/8".  It is spring steel, so it is hard to do, but I have a drill press and a drill vice.

I attach with 1/8" pop rivets.  However.. I "back up" the clip with small 1/8" ID washers to give the rivets more holding power...

So... rivet in from the outside of the enclosure, enclosure, spring clip, then washer.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

slashandburn

I've also fought with these clips a few times, rivets are a great idea, cheers Marc!

If you end up trying to glue it, I had most success using "rapid metal epoxy glue" and having a battery in the clip while the glue cures. If you leave the clip "empty" as the glue cures, the outward flex when first installing the battery seems to break the bond. Mines seemed to, at least. Just be careful not to glue the battery in, that's no fun at all.

ElectricDruid

I've also struggled with these clips. Glue was my only-vaguely-successful answer. The 2-part epoxy I used didn't bond that well to the very smooth and hard surface of the clip, and as Slashandburn says, it's easy for the flex of the clip to break the bond.

In end, I gave up on them and used other things. Nowadays, I don't put batteries in pedals at all - just power sockets.

Tom

John Lyons

Scuff up the area to be glued on the box and on the
battery clip with course sandpaper. Use 2 part epoxy
such as JB Weld. Glue in with a battery in as mentioned
and make sure the epoxy pushes up a bit into the holes.
You don't have to have the battery all the way down into
the clip or it may get glued in.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

slashandburn

As an aside, I don't use these clips in pedal builds, mostly just belt-clip equipped Smokey style amps.  For the most part if my pedal will have a space for a battery it's usually much easier to position the footswitch just over1 9V batterys width away from the enclosure side. Holds the battery in there securely enough for the most part.