Quickly testing a MN32xx series BBD??

Started by Chillums, April 10, 2018, 08:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chillums

Anybody know a fairly quick and easy way to test these chips to tell if they work or not.  Other than putting them in a know working circuit?  Ive been having trouble as of late breadbording circuits like the dm-2 and a couple of madbean projects and had no luck.   im not looking for a delayed signal, just a signal in general thinking if it passes signal then they are ok.  I have a bunch of chips bought off random ebayers (was not aware at the time how flooded ebay is with fakes) and just need a simple circuit to see if I have any winners.  The Coolaudio chips I have I'm sure are real but the mn3007, mn3207, mn3208, chips I'm not so sure of. 

Do they fake the Coolaudio and Xvive chips too?!!!

Also what would be the best project to pursue,  mainly looking for a circuit that can take both N and P channel devices with the switch of a jumper or two. 

ElectricDruid

I've never heard of a fake Coolaudio or Xvive device, so I think you're safe there. I don't agree with your "if it passes signal, it's ok" test though - one way people fake MN3209s is to relabel something close like a 3207. So you get a signal, and it's delayed, but it's not delayed by the right amount. I think SBE even got caught like this, perhaps with some "2048 stage" chips that weren't actually - I read something from Steve about it, I'm sure.

Personally I have an unboxed Flangelicious PCB on my desk for testing BBDs. It's not too hard to plug a chip in and put it through its paces. I don't know a much simpler way.

HTH,
Tom