Author Topic: Distortion LTD harmonic percolator instructions unclear  (Read 237 times)

Distortion LTD harmonic percolator instructions unclear
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:30 PM »
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help. Itís amazing to be able to come to a place like this for advice before I take a chance and potentially screw something up. Who knows, maybe someone else here built one too already. Iím building a harmonic percolator kit I got from Distortion LTD magazine and Iím a little confused about the instructions and I was hoping someone would help me clear a couple things up. I donít know much about reading schematics so if I donít have clear directions Iím screwed. Iím including screenshots from the instructions/schematic

below and a link to the intuctions in full.  Firstly, the drawing says there are only ten track cuts on the vero but in the photo of their board I think I see eleven. So which is it?

And secondly, this part in step five about clipping the transistor leg and twisting one around the other. Very vague if you ask me and I canít afford to screw it up. Can anyone tell what this means and possibly explain it to me?

Thanks again for the help. Let me know if I can supply any more info to help make my questions more clear. Link and photos below:

https://view.joomag.com/distortion-ltd-issue-014/0440159001522971164/p18?short

pinkjimiphoton

• Poster2
  • High priest, Cult of Germanium, and Dudeist Monk
    • odds are i'm probably banned  here...
Re: Distortion LTD harmonic percolator instructions unclear
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
@#$% nicholas kula dude. he steals our shit from here then claims it as his own.
his posts always have mistakes, too, but the big thing is the asshole has no ethics.
if ya wanna harmonic perk that works for vero, hollah back and i'll upload ya one,
but at least some of us won't bother with anything that douchebag touched.
he ripped me and dino off personally and never even apologized when called on it... so i can't offer support for anything
that ftard does. sorry.
digi2t:
"Fuzz, distortion, and wah, are plenty abound. Mutron Flanger, not so much.  8)"
#FuzzyGoodness

pinkjimiphoton

• Poster2
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
try this. transistors can be pretty much anything. socket and see. this was built over a dozen times so it should be good to go

digi2t:
"Fuzz, distortion, and wah, are plenty abound. Mutron Flanger, not so much.  8)"
#FuzzyGoodness

BetterOffShred

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
I built a few of these and they sound dope for sure. I actually used an MPSA13 as the NPN in one, it's pretty sweet.  Had to adjust the 91k to a lower value, and used bigger input/output on a friend's recommendation. It gets pretty raucous.  Never tried the Albini mods, but it looks easy enough to add to Jimi's layout, or the tagboard.  I think I added 2 columns to that one and got the dual clipping options.  DPDT toggle for input/output caps, and then that 4pdt toggle for the albini mods boom done

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »
@#$% nicholas kula dude. he steals our shit from here then claims it as his own.
his posts always have mistakes, too, but the big thing is the asshole has no ethics.
if ya wanna harmonic perk that works for vero, hollah back and i'll upload ya one,
he ripped me and dino off personally and never even apologized when called on it... so i can't offer support for anything
that ftard does. sorry.

Apologies. I seem to have struck a nerve. Hope I didn't offend, I just thought the thing sounded cool and wanted to try my hand at something on vero. I'm already almost done with this build so I think it makes sense to see it through. Guess I'll just keep plugging along and hope it works once I fire it up.

idy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:15:51 AM »
 It looks like the extra cut should not matter: it appears to be row F column G, nothing attached to that part of the row.

That thing about the transistor is pretty damn annoying. Which transistor? Both? Why not make a real lay out....

I would suggest looking at the schematic and the "layout" to figure out where the BCE are supposed to go. Then figure out the pinout for the transistors you have. Then figure out how to get the legs twisted around with some insulation to keep from shorting.

The emitters go "up" on Q2 "down" on Q1. The collectors go the "other" way and the bases are the "Side" or "middle" leads.
Good luck, but the guys telling you to toss the board, get a new piece of vero and follow a proven layout are really trying to help you out! This kind of thing can be a nightmare. And most folks test a circuit before they stick it in a box....

Rob Strand

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:39 AM »
Grrrrr the darn JPEG compression setting was wrong and it stuffed-up my mark-ups on the layout.
Too late now, will have to do it again tomorrow.
----------------
Here's what I see:

I'm assuming on this diagram the transistor is viewed from the bottom:

this was built over a dozen times so it should be good to go
A nice compact layout that's easy to build.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:54:36 AM by Rob Strand »
The mind often distorts without gain.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
Grrrrr the darn JPEG compression setting was wrong and it stuffed-up my mark-ups on the layout.
Too late now, will have to do it again tomorrow.
----------------
Here's what I see:

I'm assuming on this diagram the transistor is viewed from the bottom:

this was built over a dozen times so it should be good to go
A nice compact layout that's easy to build.

Thanks a ton for your help. I think I figured it out and proceeded further into the build last night. Iíll check what I did against this when I get home from work later. Canít believe how vague some of these instructions are. Really disappointed. Just hope I can get it working. Thanks again.

Rob Strand

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »
Thanks a ton for your help. I think I figured it out and proceeded further into the build last night. Iíll check what I did against this when I get home from work later. Canít believe how vague some of these instructions are. Really disappointed. Just hope I can get it working. Thanks again.
Yeah it doesn't help the cause.
No problem. Here's the fix.

You should convince yourself it is correct.  I would be buzzing the GT313A transistor pins with a multimeter diode range to confirm they are correct.  I couldn't work out top-view bottom-view from the Russian datasheet.

The mind often distorts without gain.

pinkjimiphoton

• Poster2
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
that ftard does. sorry.

Apologies. I seem to have struck a nerve. Hope I didn't offend, I just thought the thing sounded cool and wanted to try my hand at something on vero. I'm already almost done with this build so I think it makes sense to see it through. Guess I'll just keep plugging along and hope it works once I fire it up.

no worries, my apologies. that dermadermdermdermer just rubbed my fur the wrong way. glad to see rob and the guys helpin ya out ;)
digi2t:
#FuzzyGoodness